What Does A Corn Look Like?

A few weeks ago Sunshine was 3 legged lame. Hoping around like a tripod! I couldn't find anything wrong but she was a bit flinchy when you touched her toe. Nothing on her pad, etc I went over her with a flashlight! LOL I gave her a few days of Novox and it just resolved itself. She's hasn't been really limping but if thinking about how she steps down with that leg. I assumed it was a minor sprain and planned on keeping her as quiet as possible for the next 2 months, just like I got Rainy's sprain to heal. But I was dremeling nails yesterday and noticed a hard dark spot on Sunshine's pad. On the same toe that was tender prior. I poked prodded and pinched it but got no response, so I decided to just dremel it down and see what happened. I wasn't smart enough to take pics before I dremeled it...

IMG_20100808_220719.jpg

IMG_20100808_220657.jpg

I put some musher's secret on after I dremeled the hole into her pad. But does it look like a corn? How are they diagnosed? We need to go to the vet in Sept for a blood pull and I'm going to try and wait until then. I've been reading on greytalk that the key is catching them and taking care of them quickly. Should I buy some duct tape on my lunch break and try that? Or is there nothing to do since I dremeled it down? Should I buy that nifty new miracle cream to try? If it is a corn I want it gone ASAP! I'm OCD about owies... and if it doesn't look like a early forming corn what else could it be?

------

Jessica

See post #5 in the thread below. There are pics of Daisy's corn. I used the corn ointment from Murray Ave. Apothecary in Pittsburgh, but I suspect any cream, lotion, ointment, vit E oil, etc, put on the pad, then occluded (cover it to keep the med on the spot and keep the moisture in, say with a baggie and vet wrap) will work. You want to soften the corn, then lift around the edges 'til the corn just pops out. I've heard the dremmeling works too.

Yet another corn thread

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Looks like a corn to me. That's how Andy's started. They start out flat and then become raised causing more pain.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Does dremeling a hole in the pad relieve all the pain? I could def just dremel every week... I need to get a cone attachment thingie so I don't mess the rest of her pad up. Thank goodness we worked so much with the dremel! I don't think I would be brave enough to do that if I still had to pin her against the wall and she was jerking her foot away.

Duct tape has been on for almost 10 hours now!

IMG_20100809_233441.jpg

I'm flabbergasted that I was able to trick her!. She immediately went into removal chewy mode but I slather a ton of bag balm on her front paws and she spent a while trying to lick all that off. So she had a belly full of bag balm but forgot about her duct taped pad last night. Who said I have no brains? Maybe I'll slather peanut butter on her paws next time....

Will the duct tape make it pop out of her pad leaving a larger hole? If I don't see any results in 2 weeks I'm going to try that magic cream...

------

Jessica