Lucy Update ...she Is Gone

Guest greytloves

Guest nikkikaye

ive been dealing with corns for years with my "cornhound". It is such a serious and debiliating problem, there is a yahoo group called cornhounds- you should join. Talk about experts! I will say- stop pushing the hip down! My guy limps for weeks after a "hull". Corns/corn issues are VERY painful and take a long time to recover from after a removal. The open hole from where it came out will take a couple weeks to start filling in and is VERY VERY painful during that time. Limping is totally to be expected. Tramadol is in order for pain management as well. You should have at least 2 therapaws booties on hand for the future. A kid's sock WITH MOLESKIN insert is a good substitute. It took me years to realize how much pain my guy was in from the corns. He is 11 now and we have just learned to deal with it. They ALWAYS grow back- so dont try to fight it. Hulling or surgical corn removal is one way to deal with it... but when you do this invasive procedure, you are necessarily producing a very painful area with a somewhat long and significant recovery time- including meds- when all that is going to happen is that it is coming back!. What I have found is the best way to live with lareg recurring debilitating corns is just weekly nail dremeling and corn dremeling. Keep all nails short and keep corns smoothly filed to the pad. Once in a while i get out a cuticle nipper to dig into one that is annoying me, but usually i just file, file, file. Then we go thru about a day or 2 of tenderness and a tramadol or 1/2- depending on limp and pain, and then he gets 7-10 days of "better" use of foot. then repeat. I dont care what anyone else tells you. Talk to people with CHRONIC (not just a small or one time corn) corns on a gh and they will all tell you what I just did. I am praying yours was just a one time thing- for your sake and the dog's... pls be gentle- i promise you - it still hurts!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytloves

Ok- thanks. Got it. I'm glad to hear that we should EXPECT her to still be hurting this much. Just wish my Therapaw booties get here today! I have been making some up with sterile pads and a toddler sock to provide cushion. My vet had told me to see how she was doing in a week so after a week of her still hopping she had me worried. But I will continue doing what we are doing which is feeding her on carpeted surfaces and only going outside to potty, pain meds and wearing the booties. Luckily with my job I can bring her to work (getting her not to jump out of or into the vehicle is quite the test on my back!) and if not able to bring her I can go home at lunch. I do only really, really lightly put my hand on her hip when she has the bootie on so I never forced her to do it and to some extent I will contiue to encourage her to use it some in the house only because she apparently hurt the muscles so bad in the other leg by overcompensating that she went lame and then was screaming in pain over pulled muscles so bad that my vet was more worried about that then the corn. My friend has a pool and we were thinking of holding her up in the pool to get her to use those thigh muscles some without any pressure to the feet. What do you think of that?

It is so hard to really see that it would hurt so much since it is not like a normal part of the body where it is red or swollen.

Luckily she does already get her nails dremeled weekly as she has those super speedy growing ones and I hate long nails on greyhounds!

I hope this is a one time event. However, she had a very small one on her other back foot that I popped out a few weeks ago. So, I think we have not seen the last of them. Dang things. I hate that they are hurting my baby girl.

eta. put in my request to join the Yahoo group.

Edited by greytloves

• 1 month later...
Guest greytloves

Just an update....her corn is gone. Thank goodness. It started to come back so I started all the therapy as advised and filed it every other day and it went away. Completely smooth smushy pad again. So that is good - one side resolved for now. However, after my vet visit today we do believe she has OS in the other leg. Not completely sure right now as he is a country vet with only a portable XR and when he took the XR in August he found nothing, but she is still limping and has no pain pressure points anywhere and joints seem fine. So 20 days of Rimadyl, if no response we drive her to Dallas to the Diagnostic Clinic for better XR's. Hate this. My second rodeo with this thing.

And the other update is on Sug, he had the place removed that I mentioned before. AND IT came back. So Friday we go back and Doc and I operate on it again to remove with larger margins and send it off. Luckily Doc is wonderful and lets me assist, I think he knows that it is easier to just let me assist then to have me pacing in his office.

Did not even want to post a follow up since we all deal with this crap so much, but did want to post about my Big Girl. Man.

It has been a very rough couple of months for you. Sending hugs of comfort and prayers of healing.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending hugs and prayers. Hoping very much you will get better news from the fancy x-rays.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 1 month later...
Guest greytloves

Well, update again. Took her into my old vet for some fancy x-rays and she does have OS on the head of the femur.

I hate this crappy disease.

Not the news you wanted. I'm sorry.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I missed this earlier in the Summer. Just wanted to say that I'm sorry that it turned out to be OS.:(

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I am sorry to read of Lucy's diagnosis. This disease is horrible...we'll be thinking of you and Lucy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh crap. :( Not what I was expecting. I am so sorry - especially with everything else that has been going on. :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greytloves

Thanks, guys. We all know how horrible this is. What a crappy club!

My poor vet. I took her to our old vet in the town we used to live in. He diagnosed my Susie Q years ago with hemangiosarcoma and then my Josephine with OS about 5 years ago. So at first he and I did a knee X-ray just to see if it was an injury and we did not see anything so he kept her to sedate and do more. Than just called and said "It is in the hip". He knew that he did not have to say anything else. So, I brought him some of the stuff from GT on the cocktails that have worked for pain and went in. Looking at the X-rays it is obvious but the bone is not spongy yet. So, he is putting her on Previcox + Tramadol + gabapentin. He is a wonderful friend and told my DH and I that right now he thinks we can control her pain to at least give us a few weeks/months? (we hope)with her. But he also agreed that if we have to move to a narcotic it would be time to let her go.

I just decided to stay home from work today and grieve. Right now it is one of those situations that I can't think of it, much less talk about it, without crying. It never matters how much you have dealt with this, how you already knew what it was in your gut- the pain is still the same.

...........just:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug .