Symptoms Of Uti -Updated- <Spleen Removed> 8/10

Guest fastdogs

Guest fastdogs

Bandit has increased his intake of water in the past week or so and subsequently has had some accidents. There doesn't seem to be any obvious reasons for this. He isn't on steroids, there hasn't been a lot of extra exercise and the house has been cool enough.

I'm wondering if he may be be heading for a UTI. I don't know what symptoms to looks for, at least the subtle ones.

Any advice?

Thx.

Edited by fastdogs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really can't tell. Some dogs have classic symptoms (frequent scanty dark/bloody pee), some have weird symptoms, some have none. I'd just run a pee sample to the vet for urinalysis.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear he isn't feeling well!

Increased drinking and urination can be symptoms of many things.

I'd start by getting a urine sample to the vet, to rule out a UTI, and go from there.

Good Luck!

When Ducky first starting showing signs of his UTI, you could tell he was really straining to pee. He also started having accidents in the house and waking up to go out in the middle of the night. One sample I caught showed a tiny bit of blood. A sterile sample is best though, where the vet does a needle extraction right from the bladder.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest fastdogs

It wasn't a UTI.

Bandit had surgery today to remove a 9.8 lbs spleen. He made it through surgery okay. We aren't out of the woods yet, though.

Here's to hoping he's a fighter.

Hang tough, handsome.

Holy petunias. Sending prayers for everything benign and a fast recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest fastdogs

Peeing issue was due to bladder being compressed. He had a rough night last night, didn't eat much, puked up what he did eat, restless, etc...

Oh no! Poor Bandit! Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery and bounces back quick. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet if he's not eating. It can take a few days for them to get back to "normal" eating & pooping, ecpecially the older guys.

Please keep us posted!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest fastdogs

Oh no! Poor Bandit! Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery and bounces back quick. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet if he's not eating. It can take a few days for them to get back to "normal" eating & pooping, ecpecially the older guys.

Please keep us posted!

he's stitched from his wanker to his sternum, so he's still at the vets. i expect he'll be there for several days. i'm sure they will be giving him what he needs interveinusly (sp?).

Yikes! Poor guy. I hope he heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Fasave

Just seeing this Brian. Poor Bandit. I hope he feels better soon. Any reason why the spleen got so large? I'll be thinking good thoughts for this special boy. Let me know if you need anything.

Guest eaglflyt

Wow! I'm glad he is rid of that *huge* spleen. I'm praying that everything is benign. You know, not too long ago there was another GTer whose dog had a huge spleen. I remember it was totally benign. I hope your boy's is the same. Hugs for you and your pup. :grouphug:hope

Add me to the list of people offering to help. Anything at all. Hang tough Bandit, you have found the best home, now stick around and enjoy it for a long time to come.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest fastdogs

So far so good. Bandit has been up and walking a bit. His temp has come way down, a bit lower than we'd like but somewhat expected after removing such a large infected mass. He has a 14" scar from his little man to his sternum. Next update is in an hour or so.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and offers to help. If I need help, I'll be sure to take you up on your offers.

Oh my goodness! Poor baby! Praying for a swift recovery and a benign lab report.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest fastdogs

Okay, so he's alert and has had another walk. The vet, who is a personal friend told me that if I was one of his other clients, he would tell me that Bandit is doing as well as can be expected, but he told me that he is very happy with the way things are progressing. He still cautions that this is a major thing and Bandit still has a long way to go. Aside from the biopsy, which is out of our control, we are looking forward to the next hurdles: getting him to pee, poop and eat.

He told me to be happy with the progress so far, don't dwell on how this happened or what I could have been done differently just concentrate on what's at hand.

So, good job Bandit. Hang tough, my friend. We're going to get you through this and back home where you belong.