Hurley Had Trouble Getting Up

Hurley was laying on the floor and suddenly tried to get up and to stagger to his feet but had all sorts of balance problems. It happened very fast, I was facing him the whole time but all I saw was him falling onto a box instead of standing up. Nothing crashed so my husband took hold of him and I wrangled the other two dogs out of the room (they were already moving in to sniff and investigate). Hurley's back legs were splayed backwards but he was standing, sort of. His eyes looked completely black (the light in here was not too bright) and like they were rapidly shifting. We gave him another 30 seconds and he was able to stand again and appear more normal.

Since he felt better, we decided to take him out for a pee and a walk, at which point he was fine. His peeing was fine (maybe not as exact on his target as usual but fine). He came back in and had water and is still panting but I have noticed him panting pretty hard all the time, more than the other two dogs, if you ask me.

I don't know if his legs fell asleep or if the heat got to him. But we haven't rushed him to the e-vet. I think we will wait until our regular vet opens at 8am, 7 hours from now. He is sequestered in here with us, so the other two hounds can't bother him.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

You might want to read this thread before you head off to the vet. It may give you ideas of potential issues to discuss with the doctor.

Good luck.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I looked at the vestibular disease link...there are some similarities there. I just hope everything will be alright. Luckily, I have the next three days off. The best thing about the regular vet is that they are very calm, versus the e-vet. At the e-vet, we would be talking about rescusitation choices, if it came to that.

We gave him a half-portion of kibble/dinner and he went out with the other two hounds with no problems. I have cranked the a/c in the bedroom down to 70, usually it is at 73. I will be cold but I can deal with that. The humidity is sooooo bad right now. I don't have any baby aspirin but if I did, he'd have had one by now, as Dr. Coutu stated in his lecture that I heard in KY, to help with any possible stroke issue. I will buy that in the morning!

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

We are back from the vet and he thinks it was a petit mal seizure. We got baseline bloodwork done to check for any changes and will continue to monitor the situation. If he has one once every 6 months lasting only for a short period, we probably won't do anything more, pending the lab findings. He may never (I hope!) have one again. Obviously, many greyhounds have seizures and many of you will know a whole lot about it. But it scares me to think it could happen while we are gone at work for 8 or more hours. We were told to keep a log of the pre-ictal, ictal and post presentation and also to videotape it if we could.

I guess Jim and I will be going to State Fair today for awhile since things are fine.

Hurley is 7 and about a month ago, had a tail dislocation. The C3/C4 disc in his spine had shifted upwards and was causing a lot of pain. We were given tramadol and rimadyl for the pain and it was fine within a few days. we weren't sure if maybe there was a connection between these two events but vet didn't think so.

He just walked over to give me kisses and I gave him some scritches. Hurley is such a compassionate and sensitive hound. I will never have another like him!!

Siggy4.jpg

How scary! Glad he is fine now and hope it never happens again!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That is scary. I hope he doesn't have any more seizures.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The only update I happily have to report is that his ALT was mildly elevated. This is a liver-specific enzyme in dogs and usually is elevated because of a toxin. He had a 147 (normal 5-105). So, we will repeat that in a few weeks/months. It is slightly possible he ate something bad, that we still do not know of. I almost hope that's what it was (assuming he can't eat whatever it was anymore....)

Hurley has been fantastic since then: he is definitely happy with life! I hope my heart dog will be okay for a long, long time!!

Thank you so much for your generous thoughts!

Siggy4.jpg