Humidity And Back Problems?

Guest bigorangedog

Guest bigorangedog

This may be an odd question, but does anyone know whether humid weather can exacerbate spine/disc problems?

If you haven't read our other thread... We are going with the hypothesis (suggested by the radiologist who looked at Apollo's films) that Apollo has a slipped disc rather than spinal metastasis of his osteosarcoma. So for the past 5 days we've been giving prednisone and methocarbamol. The first 3 days, he seemed to be doing a lot better. But yesterday and today (especially today), worse again.

The only thing that has changed is that yesterday, and especially today, it has been ungodly hot and humid here. He's in the house, but even in the house it is sticky and overly warm. So I'm wondering whether that can be causing things in his back to act up again.

Either that, or the pred has ceased to work, and I'm not liking that possibility. Thoughts?

Weather does effect arthritis--I thought that was a myth until I asked my rheumatologist about it. It has to do with the barometric pressure, apparently! I don't see why it couldn't make your dog's condition worse. I know that this has been a very hard summer for my joints, with all the strange weather.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Pred can cause muscle wasting, which in turn makes it more difficult for the dog to get around. It's my understanding that this only happens with the long-term use of pred.

Are you giving pred every other day or less? If you are giving it every day that can cause serious problems if that's done for more than a few weeks. It causes the adrenal gland to stop working, and problems walking (even without muscle wasting) can occur. If you are giving it every day, please talk to your vet about changing your regime unless you are giving it for a month or less.

ETA--I just saw your other thread and realized that you just started the prednisone to combat these symptoms.

What other meds is Apollo currently on? Could any of them be causing these symptoms?

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Swifthounds

The barometric pressure changes wreak havoc on arthritis, healing bone, and joints. I had bone fusion in my neck almost a year ago and as it has been healing over slowly, I could tell you when the weather was going to change.

I had both knees replaced 2 years ago. I always thought that arthritis & bone problems were worse in cold weather, but my knees ALWAYS gave me fits when

it was hot & humid. Barometric pressure sounds perfectly logical to me.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.