I Know It's My Fault

Guest buttonwillow

Guest buttonwillow

Just venting. Josie whined at 4.30 this morning wanting to go outside. She has reliably slept through the night for the 5 weeks we have had her, and she has always meant it when she has whined in the past so I got up, got dressed, put on my shoes, and took her outside. We live in the city near a big park and it's not somewhere I want to be at 4.30 am by myself frankly. Of course when we got outside the grass was wet and Josie had no interest in peeing or pooping but looked like she thought a long walk would be a great idea. I gave her a few minutes, no pee, no poop, but some sketchy looking strangers wandering by, and then we headed back into the house, where within two minutes she peed twice and pooped in the kitchen (she never enters that room normally).

Now I know if I had given her a few more minutes outside all would have been well. It is not her fault that I had to clean up all over the house and throw away her bed that got pee on it (it's hard to wash and I'm going with comforters from now on anyway). She tried to tell me and I just didn't give her enough time.

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink:

ps. ew :P

Edited by buttonwillow

Guest Swifthounds

Don't be too hard on yourself. Mistakes happen and everything with hounds has its learning curve. You were probably half-awake and then nervous when you took her out. If you're nervous outside at that hour, she will be as well. Maybe next time get some pepper spray and just walk her at a quick pace back and forth over a short distance near home. If she has to go and you keep her moving, she'll go.

If that's the only mistake you ever make you're WAY ahead of me! :lol Let's see - I had a dog eat a 5 lb. bag of sugar - that was terrifying and DISGUSTING to clean up all over the entire house when it came out both ends while the dog was home alone for 6 hours. I quicked a dog to the point I had to replace a carpet..... um.... missing one need to "go"..... is VERY minor compared to my extensive list of thing I've messed up - and had to clean up - after! :eek:lol

Seriously - relax. And I agree - EWWW! Cleaning up poop is NEVER fun. :eek

If you leash-walk you definately want her on a good schedule - and it sounds like you've pretty much got one. But - sometimes, nature will call. I'd suggest finding a "go" spot, close by. Someplace she knows if we're going out to GO - it's JUST to go - no walking around, just git-r-done. Maybe go to that spot first on walks - do the business, give a treat for a quick "go" at that spot - then enjoy a nice stroll. (or not if it's early or late). Get her in the habit of knowing THIS is the place - so night "outs" or emergency "outs" can be quick and close to home.

Others have taught going on command - but I've never figured that one out.

Guest buttonwillow

oh thanks, good ideas both of you! i will take that advice.

We walk normally at 6am (until 7.30 or 8), then 12.30, then 5, then 9. She has never wanted to get up earlier than 6 before, and sometimes will sleep until 7. Last night she went to bed at 5.30 and slept for 12 hours! We did have a long walk that morning.

I'll have some pictures to post maybe tomorrow :)

oh thanks, good ideas both of you! i will take that advice.

We walk normally at 6am (until 7.30 or 8), then 12.30, then 5, then 9. She has never wanted to get up earlier than 6 before, and sometimes will sleep until 7. Last night she went to bed at 5.30 and slept for 12 hours! We did have a long walk that morning.

I'll have some pictures to post maybe tomorrow :)

Just remember - and try not to get too fussed-up about it.... if we have dogs, no matter how good we try to do - how well we train - how many "outs" we do -... eventually "POOP WILL HAPPEN" :lol:eek:lol:P

You've gotta be able to scoop, :blink: laugh, :lol and learn B) .... and be willing to do it again. ;)

Guest Mollysmom10

Been there -- we have a pretty dark backyard w/ some motion lights. Some late nights Molly would whine, I would get up and she would go outside and just stare out into the darkness and then she would look at me like I was nuts for letting her out. And then she would come back in and then whine again later on...it would kill me.

Don't be hard on yourself -- you'll look back and smile at the memories. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lgyure85

We ended up putting diapers on Maddie for a similar reason. She would go outside and either pee or poo early in the morning but not want to stay out long enough for the second, so she'd go in the house a few minutes later. We started putting a baby diaper on her at night with a "U" cut out for her tail. She tried pooing once in it (much too my amusement, since she would start to squat then jump back up as soon as she felt the diaper on her behind). She never peed in it, but has since decided it's worth it to go outside for both.