Food Switching Question...same Brand Different Flavors

My Very Spoiled Dog (yes I pay the shipping to Japan to get it for her) is fed Merrick which seems to agree with her. When I first tried it I bought several flavors--she didn't like the senior one and the Turducken gave her the most awful gas. She did well with a couple other flavors however.

I ended up with two flavors and spent a lot of time starting on one bag, mixing with another, then finishing with another bag. Is this really necessary? I've always read to make food switches gradually, but I was wondering if it really mattered within a brand as much. If I'm using flavors that agree with her already, is it okay to just feed a random one per meal?

I know I could just experiment, but if I get a definitive YES or NO, well I can save time and maybe some poop problems.

Thanks for any input, and if I missed a previous thread I apologize...and if someone could link me to it I'd appreciate it.

Cathy (and Jackie, who really doesn't think she is spoiled enough)

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

I used to go back and forth from Chicken and lamb and rice of the same brand with no problems. I didn't vary it up per meal, I'd just buy chicken a few bags, then buy lamb and rice once in a while. I never really transitioned between different formulas of the same maker that they did OK on. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

If you already know your pup can tolerate the food, I'd just feed it, no mixing etc. The only reason I sometimes mix over a few days is to limit the amount of bad poop I get if the food doesn't agree. My dogs have never gotten used to a food over time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm with Pam on this one. Our pack's got pretty sturdy stomachs. We switch from one variety to another in the same product line (lamb v. chicken, for example) from time to time without distress. If your dog's tried this food before and it agrees with her, I say go for it!

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

I used to go back and forth from Chicken and lamb and rice of the same brand with no problems. I didn't vary it up per meal, I'd just buy chicken a few bags, then buy lamb and rice once in a while. I never really transitioned between different formulas of the same maker that they did OK on. :dunno

Same here. But it really depends on your dog--if they generally have a solid stomach, I doubt there'd be a problem.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Thank you for the input! mmm Cowboy Cookout for breakfast and Wilderness Blend for dinner!

I may have to get a couple of smaller bags of other flavors too--how can you resist names like Grammy's Pot Pie or Campfire Trout Feast? I suppose I am projecting, but it seems like she would enjoy variety. Well, if I do get the new flavors, those I will go slow with. She did NOT like the Senior one and trying to sleep next to her at night after TurDucken.... :puke Now that was gas!

Cathy

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)