The Big D

Guest kdmews

Guest kdmews

I need some advice. My 5 year old greyhound has always had loose stool -- soft serve ice cream variety. I have tried changing foods, I have tried probiotics, I have tried just about everything. Everytime I try something new, it seems to work for a few weeks and then we are right back to where we started from. Well, two weeks ago, he injured himself in the backyard chasing a squirrel and had to have stitches in his leg. The vet also prescribed antibiotics (he was getting 1,000 mg. of Cephalaxin two times per day for a total of 2,000 mg. per day). His stool was fantastic while on the antibiotics. He has now been off the antibiotics since Tuesday and his stool is 100 times worse than it ever was before. It is pure water, no form whatsoever. I know he cannot be on antibiotics for the rest of his life, but usually antibiotics cause digestion problems -- in his case, it cleared everything up and now that he is off the antibiotics, he is worse than ever.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do, what I can try, etc. I'm at my wits end.

Thanks.

Diane

Have you tried adding some fiber to the diet like oatmeal or veggies?

Antibiotics "upset" the normal bacteria that is in the gut so you probably need to add some yogurt or probiotics to the diet. In the interim, have you moved to a "bland diet" (hamburger/chicken and rice) to ease the digestion? Bland diets sometimes also help the diarrhea ....

good luck

I'd start ruling out allergies. Start with one protein. One. What protein has be been getting?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project