Limone's Toe Pops Out Of Socket Constantly

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

Hello Everyone!

I've had my precious Limone now for about 5 months now, and he is such a blessing. When I got him, I noticed right away that he'd be out running in the back yard, yelp loudly, and pull his paw up. Then, he'd limp around for a few minutes, and then he'd be fine, walking normally. Before adopting him, he was checked out at a vet, who couldn't find anything wrong with him physically.

Well, I think I've found the answer...the past number of times this has happened, I saw his pinkie toe pointing outwards from the rest of his toes--and it looks to me as though the toe pops out of the socket.

This doesn't happen to him on a daily basis--just mostly when he gets excited. Today, he jumped up on me when I came home, and he knocked my leg with his little toe, and out it came. Poor baby screams so loudly, I feel so terrible for him. After about 10 minutes, he was fine again.

Any ideas of things I can do for him? It is hard to know what to do, because it doesn't happen every day or every time he runs, but enough that it worries me for him.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Dislocating toes can be hard to resolve. We used a supportive wrap (link below) for @ 3 weeks and kept her from running for an *additional* 3 weeks.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/236108-dislocated-toe-our-wrap-job-which-worked/page__p__4146449__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=4146449

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest andrealynch

Wow! Thanks for the link--the artwork was pretty amazing! What do you think about amputating the problematic toe? I am not sure if it is that bad, but it would be nice for him not to be in so much pain because of the toe. How do dogs deal with losing a toe?

I haven't amputated one, but lots of people have. If it keeps popping out, that seems the best way to deal with it. In our case, I felt it was worth trying support and rest at least that once. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest momofevie

A friend just had a second toe on her 9-yr-old grey amputated. She was apprehensive about going thru with it but has no regrets. Keeping it became too painful for her boy, and the surgeon was confident about recovery etc. About two weeks out, and he's bouncing around in a Thera-Paw like nothing ever happened. I'd definitely look into it.

Guest andrealynch

Thanks! I will look into it! He has so much "pup" left in him at 4 years of age...seems like it might be a long road for him if he has to endure this for a lifetime. :)

Here are two blog posts from a Greytalker whose senior dog has chronic toe problems: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2010/07/short-nails.html and http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2010/07/breaking-down.html

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Wow! Thanks for the link--the artwork was pretty amazing! What do you think about amputating the problematic toe? I am not sure if it is that bad, but it would be nice for him not to be in so much pain because of the toe. How do dogs deal with losing a toe?

we had to amputat a fosters that would pop out at least once a day. She did fine it was a front the one next to the pinkie.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest MnMDogs

We had a foster who had a toe that did that. We ended up splinting it (with a short splint that allowed relatively free movement of his leg) for 6 weeks with very frequent splint changes - every 5 days or so. He went to his forever home after about 3 weeks, and they kept up the splinting. I haven't heard of a problem in the year + that they've had him. Amputation was a consideration as well.

Guest andrealynch

We had a foster who had a toe that did that. We ended up splinting it (with a short splint that allowed relatively free movement of his leg) for 6 weeks with very frequent splint changes - every 5 days or so. He went to his forever home after about 3 weeks, and they kept up the splinting. I haven't heard of a problem in the year + that they've had him. Amputation was a consideration as well.

Thanks for this idea too! Maybe I could try it, and if no improvement, think about amputating. Such a shame b/c I was wanting to do some agility with him, but I am worried about the impact of jumping and running on his foot :(

Here are two blog posts from a Greytalker whose senior dog has chronic toe problems: http://neversaynever...hort-nails.html and http://neversaynever...aking-down.html

Thanks for the links! They were very helpful! I actually know Jennifer at Never Say Never...I will email her today, especially since she does agility with her hounds! That could give me a better idea of what to expect with Limone! Thanks again!!

Guest mcsheltie

We had to amputate Lilly's toe. It would not stay in. After the first time she did it I bandaged her and kept it immobile for over 8 weeks. We kept her quiet for three months to give it the best chance to heal. It was fine for a bit, but then started doing it again.

One thing to watch for should you decide to amputate, make sure the vet takes the toe off at the top of the foot. Not at the first joint, closest to the ground. If the amp is done at that point the end of the toe hits the ground when they run. The bone is only covered by skin and it is really painful.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Vegas dislocated 2 toes in may lure coursing and we bandaged it up and it managed to stay in, try doing the bandaging first before you think of taking the toe. vegas has healed right back up and is running with no issues.

Guest andrealynch

Vegas dislocated 2 toes in may lure coursing and we bandaged it up and it managed to stay in, try doing the bandaging first before you think of taking the toe. vegas has healed right back up and is running with no issues.

Thanks for the advice! I spoke to my vet today, and we are going to try to bandage it for a while, and see what that does. She said amputating a toe is a pretty serious operation.