Arsenicum Album

Guest Cardiffcouple

Guest Cardiffcouple

Sure could use some input. We adopted 2 greys 1 month ago. They had soft stools when we got them and now Ben has total runs-massive amts of it. Mercy's poops are still pudding. We are feeding boiled chicken/white rice w/a little Wellness kibble + Metamucil at breakfast and pumpkin at dinner. We also tried Metranidazole. Nothing has worked. One of our friends is a homepathic healer. She suggested arsenicum album. Has anyone ever used this? For diarrhea? Would you please share your results with me? Oh yes, they were wormed right before we adopted them and this Saturday they are having a full blood panel done to see if they have any illness that could be causing this. Your thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Guest Sweetreba

The adoption group wormed mine before I got them but I had to do a fecal follow up with my vet. My boy was clear but my female had to be dosed again and then the next fecal was clear. If you did not do the follow up fecal you may need to do that. Just a suggestion.

I just did a search on arsenicum album....sounds pretty scary to me. Also sounds like a human product, not canine. My previous grey (RIP Gringo) also

had problems with diarrhea. He did much better on a grain free diet (we used Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato) and a product from the vet called

Proviable, which is good bacteria for dog digestive systems.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest Bang_o_rama

It's ARSENIC! Only good thing is, with standard homeopathic practice of diluting nearly to extinction, you'll be paying for essentially nothing but water.

Just make sure not to forget the quartz crystal on the collar.

~D~

Guest mcsheltie

Homeopathic remedies are very specific. There is a text book called the Materia Medica that lists the symptoms that each remedy corresponds to. There are many remedies that will work for diarrhea. Different remedies are given according to color, consistency, frequency, cramping or not, etc... Giving Ars for diarrhea without it matching will do no good. If your dog has giardia or worms it will not help either. But on the flip side, if you give the wrong remedy it will do no harm.

There are so many variables when dealing with diarrhea. But the first thing to do is get a fecal done. Besides worms, check for giardia, coccidia and bacteria overgrowth. Unfortunately these things may not show up in a fecal. It is possible that the area they test does not contain any of the above, but the dog still has them. Sometimes they have one or more of these things, but the body keeps it under control until the stress of going to a new home allows it to proliferate.

Fiber helps some cases of diarrhea and makes others worse. So see if eliminating it may help.

Ben may not be able to tolerate chicken.

Probiotics may help. Get the kind sold in a health food store that needs refrigeration. Yogurt has some, but you have to feed a bucket of yogurt to get the amount that is in one Acidophilus capsule.

Yamaha_gurl is right, if you don't cook the daylights out of rice it can cause diarrhea. Add extra water, cook extra long and feed the water the rice cooked in.

Personally, I like to feed raw ground beef & probiotics (nothing else) when my dogs get loose stools.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest Cardiffcouple

Homeopathic remedies are very specific. There is a text book called the Materia Medica that lists the symptoms that each remedy corresponds to. There are many remedies that will work for diarrhea. Different remedies are given according to color, consistency, frequency, cramping or not, etc... Giving Ars for diarrhea without it matching will do no good. If your dog has giardia or worms it will not help either. But on the flip side, if you give the wrong remedy it will do no harm.

There are so many variables when dealing with diarrhea. But the first thing to do is get a fecal done. Besides worms, check for giardia, coccidia and bacteria overgrowth. Unfortunately these things may not show up in a fecal. It is possible that the area they test does not contain any of the above, but the dog still has them. Sometimes they have one or more of these things, but the body keeps it under control until the stress of going to a new home allows it to proliferate.

Fiber helps some cases of diarrhea and makes others worse. So see if eliminating it may help.

Probiotics may help. Get the kind sold in a health food store that needs refrigeration. Yogurt has some, but you have to feed a bucket of yogurt to get the amount that is in one Acidophilus capsule.

Yamaha_gurl is right, if you don't cook the daylights out of rice it can cause diarrhea. Add extra water, cook extra long and feed the water the rice cooked in.

Personally, I like to feed raw ground beef & probiotics (nothing else) when my dogs get loose stools.

mcsheltie,this is VERY helpful. Thank you very much!

Guest Cardiffcouple

mcsheltie,this is VERY helpful. Thank you very much!

mcsheltie, would you just stop all else and start feeding the raw ground beef & probiotics or would you make the change gradually over a few days?

Thanks to everyone else for your input. I appreciate it!

Guest mcsheltie

I start cold turkey. You might want to brown the ground beef and rinse to remove as much fat to start out with. So dogs react to fat with loose stools. BUT! No food change is going to do any good if they have worms, giardia etc...

Guest mom2hounds

We just had the big D at our house. We went on vacation and kenneled the dogs. All 3 ended up with diarrhea for a week. Stool was negative. All three were started on Flagyl and chicken and rice. The 2 nongreys improved. Our vet gave us a dose of Diagel for our grey and by the next day her stool was soft but formed.