Food Recall

just saw this posted today on the fda site..wasn't sure what topic to put it under

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- CINCINNATI, July 30, 2010 – The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) (NYSE:PG) is voluntarily expanding its recall to include veterinary and some specialized dry pet food as a precautionary measure because it has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. No salmonella-related illnesses have been reported.

The following dry pet food products are included:

Product Name Version "Best-By" Dates UPC Codes

Iams Veterinary Dry Formulas All dry sizes and varieties 01Jul10 – 01Dec11 All UPC Codes

Eukanuba Naturally Wild All dry sizes and varieties 01Jul10 – 01Dec11 All UPC Codes

Eukanuba Pure All dry sizes and varieties 01Jul10 – 01Dec11 All UPC Codes

Eukanuba Custom Care Sensitive Skin All dry sizes 01Jul10 – 01Dec11 All UPC Codes

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Just got a letter from our vet today regarding this, since Jack's been on the Low Residue formula. We are almost at the end of the bag, no problems, and I'm transitioning him to the girls' food (Fromm Adult Gold). I wonder how critical it is that I discard this, since he's had no trouble...and he's in the middle of switching....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest LindsaySF

Isn't it the case that dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and so Salmonella won't affect them so badly?

I guess the issue will be human handling.

Dogs can still get sick (and even die) from bacterial infections like Salmonella.

Guest LindsaySF

That site is promoting raw feeding, not exactly a neutral source for information. :lol

Dogs do have a shorter digestive tract, lower stomach pH, and some other adaptations that make them less susceptible to bacterial infections than humans. But dogs do not need to be immunocompromised or already ill to get bacterial infections, that is a myth perpetuated by the raw-feeding community. Perfectly healthy dogs still get sick and even die, sometimes scientists/vets don't always know why it affects one dog and not another, hence a massive recall for even possible contamination.

I responded to your post because I didn't want people to incorrectly assume that dogs can't get sick from bacteria and that pet food recalls are only because the food companies are concerned about human infection. They are concerned about the dogs too.

~Lindsay~