New Adoptee Not Eating

Guest bwgreen

Guest bwgreen

We just adopted a new greyhound - a tuxedo one we named Daisy on Friday night (July 30th). Saturday she ate her meals with no problem, but Sunday she didn't eat at all. Monday she only ate dinner, and then again this morning she didn't eat.

We are feeding her Nutro Natrural Choice Chicken Meal, Oatmeal & Rice - this was what she was eating when she was at the adoption agency.

Is there anything I can do to help her get her appetite back, or is this kind of behaviour normal for new adoptees and I shouldn't really worry? This is the first greyhound we have adopted so I am not sure what is supposed to happen.

Thanks,

Brian

Is she interested in treats? I do have to bribe mine to eat by putting hot dogs, etc., steaks,etc....

Good luck with you new baby.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest bwgreen

Is she interested in treats? I do have to bribe mine to eat by putting hot dogs, etc., steaks,etc....

We haven't tried any "people" food - she does occasionally eat dog biscuits (Milk Bone) and one other dog treat - sweet potatoes wrapped in dried turkey (not sure what they're called).

I was thinking of getting a good wet food and try to mix a little of that in with her dinner and see if she likes that - does that sound reasonable?

Hi Brian - welcome to GT!

Yes, sounds reasonable! Daisy may simply be getting over a bit of culture shock so it is likely nothing to worry about and as she cozies up in your house, she'll get her appetite back. I'd be careful of too much people food or anything 'out there' as you don't want to cause her any stomach upset. Try and stick with her regular food with a bit of wet food maybe or something flavourful to peek her interest. No bacon fat or anything like that, of course!!

If you don't know it already, Ottawa has a great greyhound community! Maybe we'll see you around!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Samantha

We haven't tried any "people" food - she does occasionally eat dog biscuits (Milk Bone) and one other dog treat - sweet potatoes wrapped in dried turkey (not sure what they're called).

I was thinking of getting a good wet food and try to mix a little of that in with her dinner and see if she likes that - does that sound reasonable?

It may be because she is just new and settling in, I wouldnt worry about missed meals, she will not starve herself!. You could try adding some wet food if your really worried, or soaking her kibble alittle to make a gravy?

Maddisons been home over 3 months and because when she 1st came we had the same problem, and I cooked up all sorts to tempt her, she became the most fussiest eater ever, and with advice from people on here I HAD to stop cooking stuff and had to make her eat the dry, it took afew weeks but we got their in the end!

Like I say it probably is her just settling in.

Good luck!

Guest bwgreen

It may be because she is just new and settling in, I wouldnt worry about missed meals, she will not starve herself!. You could try adding some wet food if your really worried, or soaking her kibble alittle to make a gravy?

Maddisons been home over 3 months and because when she 1st came we had the same problem, and I cooked up all sorts to tempt her, she became the most fussiest eater ever, and with advice from people on here I HAD to stop cooking stuff and had to make her eat the dry, it took afew weeks but we got their in the end!

Like I say it probably is her just settling in.

Good luck!

Hi Brian - welcome to GT!

Yes, sounds reasonable! Daisy may simply be getting over a bit of culture shock so it is likely nothing to worry about and as she cozies up in your house, she'll get her appetite back. I'd be careful of too much people food or anything 'out there' as you don't want to cause her any stomach upset. Try and stick with her regular food with a bit of wet food maybe or something flavourful to peek her interest. No bacon fat or anything like that, of course!!

If you don't know it already, Ottawa has a great greyhound community! Maybe we'll see you around!

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a few more days - hopefully by the end on the week we'll see some changes.

Brian

Edited by bwgreen

Are you feeding the kibble plain and dry or adding water? Do you know if the group did dry or water?

I personally wouldn't be adding all sorts of stuff trying to get her to eat. I'd add some water and that's about it. And offer her a few treats during the day so she could get something in her belly.

Most likely just new home stress, but if she skips all meals a day for a couple of days, get her to the vet sooner for that first vet visit instead of waiting until she's settled in to bring her to the that first vet visit.

Guest kydie

when a new dog moves in here, I do two things,,, one: warm water on kibble and two:mix with some good canned food or cooked eggs,, she will be just fine, just getting to know you better :)

OK...so I do hear the message from all of you on the food bribery thing!!lol.gif Yes...I am guilty - and our old boy EZ will not eat his food without bribery - and, it better be good stuff or he will hold out. (This is partially my husband's fault as he and the dog live in a bachelor pad where he is stationed - and he cooks for the two of them.)

But, as long as the food isn't greasy or fried, we don't have too much trouble with the big D. My husband's left-over prime rib went over very well on Sunday night!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest bwgreen

Are you feeding the kibble plain and dry or adding water? Do you know if the group did dry or water?

I personally wouldn't be adding all sorts of stuff trying to get her to eat. I'd add some water and that's about it. And offer her a few treats during the day so she could get something in her belly.

Most likely just new home stress, but if she skips all meals a day for a couple of days, get her to the vet sooner for that first vet visit instead of waiting until she's settled in to bring her to the that first vet visit.

We actually went to the vet on Saturday - she got a clean bil of health from her.

The adoption people were mixing water, and we've been doing the same.

She ate last night, and does eat dog treats occassionally, so there is SOMETHING in her - just not everything that we give her. I'll try holding out for a couple more days before adding the canned food to see if she sparks up, and hope for the best.

We think she is kinda depressed not being with other greys in our place - still getting used to everything new. In just a few days she has learned to handle the stairs on her own, and to jump into the car when we are taking her somewhere.

Brian

Guest bwgreen

I've had the most success adding raw ground beef to the kibble. Most are used to that in their track diet. So it is familiar.

Two more meals - no eating. Should I try a different food? Right now, I'm giving her Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Oatmeal & Rice - that's what she was getting at the adopter's house. She apparently tried to give her Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach with no luck. The Nutro is what she gives her own dogs, she tried that and Daisy gobbled it up.

I'm at a loss what to do next - she's got to be hungry, but the current food just doesn't seem to interest her at all. When she goes outside she picks at the grasses we have in the backyard, and she does eat the occasional treat.

Last night I tried adding some chicken broth to her food - no luck.

I'm also wondering if it could be linked in some way to who is giving her her food - even though we've had her less than a week she seems to be my Wife's dog first, then mine. Should I ask her to feed her?

Worried,

Brian

Guest DylanGospel

I had the same problem with our newest foster. He ate well for a few meals (TOTW)and then stopped. I gave him some of the Purina with shredded chicken (comes with the fosters, but I prefer Taste of the Wild)- he downed that, but had instant Big D.- Back to TOTW. I boiled hamburger to help firm him up- had no trouble eating that. I decided it was a "taste" thing with him.

Nice firm poops with TOTW- no water, he prefers it dry. I warm up the hamburger, so it smells meatier and thoroughly mix it in. I only use about a third of a cup mixed in with the regular amount of kibble and will gradually decrease that.

This has worked very well- he eats all food, has firm poop. He just doesn't like wet kibble and will eat the good stuff mixed with a bit of hamburger- He also doesn't mind a few veggies mixed in with it.

I think that mcsheltie described a similar diet- I just boil up a supply of hamburger so it keeps.

Guest bwgreen

I had the same problem with our newest foster. He ate well for a few meals (TOTW)and then stopped. I gave him some of the Purina with shredded chicken (comes with the fosters, but I prefer Taste of the Wild)- he downed that, but had instant Big D.- Back to TOTW. I boiled hamburger to help firm him up- had no trouble eating that. I decided it was a "taste" thing with him.

Nice firm poops with TOTW- no water, he prefers it dry. I warm up the hamburger, so it smells meatier and thoroughly mix it in. I only use about a third of a cup mixed in with the regular amount of kibble and will gradually decrease that.

This has worked very well- he eats all food, has firm poop. He just doesn't like wet kibble and will eat the good stuff mixed with a bit of hamburger- He also doesn't mind a few veggies mixed in with it.

I think that mcsheltie described a similar diet- I just boil up a supply of hamburger so it keeps.

I can try the boiled hamberger route - what do you do for that? I'm new to this whole greyhound adoption thing - any ideas would be helpful!

Brian

Guest DylanGospel

I can try the boiled hamberger route - what do you do for that? I'm new to this whole greyhound adoption thing - any ideas would be helpful!

Brian

Your grocery store only sells hamburger at full price for twenty-four hours. After that, they mark it down considerably- even places like Sam's Club do this. Ask them when it's put out. I have bought lots of it while fostering- for treatment of the Big D., mostly.

It's very simple to prepare. Put it in a pot, cover with water and break it apart with your hands. Boil until it's cooked, drain in a colander and rinse with hot water. BTW, I put some detergent down the drain before I rinse the boiled hamburger- to break up any grease going through the pipes.

I've had fosters with diarrhea so bad that I had to feed nothing but hamburger to get them settled. If you have a copy of Greyhounds for Dummies, there's a good recipe in it for a bland diet (if your dog has diarrhea).

However, it sounds as though your dog is just being a bit particular about food- this is the case with my most recent foster. I also suspect that my new guy doesn't tolerate any grain in his food. I really have had a lot of success with TOTW- I know it's pricier than most, but it's worth it to me.

You'll find lots of advice about food here- you will be the best judge for your own dog. However, I think you need to get some food in him now, and the hamburger mixed with the kibble would be easy if it works. I think these new dogs should be coddled at first. They are making a tremendous adjustment whether they came from the track, an adoption kennel, or a previous foster.

Both of you will soon relax and be used to each other and you will find that adopting this dog will be the best thing that you've ever done! Good luck. :)

If you're the main person feeding and he seems closer to your wife, try having your wife giving him his food for now. He may be more comfortable with her. If that works, keep it up until he settles in, he's really new right now and has a lot to adjust to. Once he's been there for a bit, try feeding him yourself. Some of my pups would only eat for me until they adjusted to being in a home.

If she's just come off the track and wasn't in a foster home long, at the track they only feed once a day. You might try that also. The problem with adding a bunch of stuff is that you'll end up doing it forever and having to get more and more creative. I'd try to limit her grazing on the grass, that could make her stomach upset which won't help.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Furmom

Hey Brian - Welcome :) There are a lot of us from Ottawa on the boards. You have gotten a lot of good advice - best being limit treating in meals - unless you want to do it forever. I like the idea of your wife feeding for now and see if that works - remember it is a big adjustment for your hound - this is all new to them :)

Guest bwgreen

Hey Brian - Welcome :) There are a lot of us from Ottawa on the boards. You have gotten a lot of good advice - best being limit treating in meals - unless you want to do it forever. I like the idea of your wife feeding for now and see if that works - remember it is a big adjustment for your hound - this is all new to them :)

Thanks for all the info! She ate both last night and this morning - so the wife and I are happy about that!

Furmom - if you are in the Ottawa area, do you go out with the walking groups with Adopt-A-Greyhound (www.adopt-a-greyhound.com)? I was told that they meet both days on the weekend at 9:30 - the place can be different each week, the person who organizes it puts the new place on the Website under Upcoming Events - Walking & Talking. We are thinking of going to let Daisy have fun with other greys.

Brian