Loud, Girgling Stomach Noises

Guest TexasGreytMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

Has anyone experienced this with their greys? At least once a week or so, our Shelby's stomach makes extremely loud and girgling sounds. When it happens, she begs to go outside to eat grass (exhausting if it happens in the middle of the night), which I know seems to soothe stomach upset.

We give her a couple of Pepto or maybe a Ranitidine (Zantac) and after a short time, she's fine.

But, rather than treating, we'd like to prevent this if at all possible.

It has happened regardless of food brand. For the past 6 months or so, we've been feeding both girls 4Health Lamb & Rice dry food: http://tinyurl.com/4HealthDogFood with a couple spoonfuls of nonfat, unsweetened, plain yogurt.

Appreciate any tips! Thanks! :colgate

Do you give her a snack before bedtime? Sometimes that helps. Mine all get a cookie before going to bed so as to avoid those early morning sounds of a pup trying to vomit bile. Their tummys get too empty.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My previous dog had what I called a "tender stomach". If she didn't get fed twice a day with a bedtime snack, I had the gurgling problem and she would vomit nasty, yellow bile and be miserable. So with my houndie, since I'm already pre-trained with the two meals and the snack, I'm just carrying on the practice and no problems so far. My personal theory is... humans wouldn't like only one meal a day, either... You'd be starving by bedtime and would probably wake up in the middle of the night with hunger cramps. So... two meals a day and a bedtime snack is what we do.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest TexasGreytMom

We feed twice a day - before leaving for work (around 7am) and again in the evening (around 5pm). They don't get treats during the day, but they get two in the evening after dinner, with the last one right after they come inside from their last potty break (around 930pm) which is right before bed. The bedtime treat is a medium size dry dog biscuit.

OY- that's how it all started with Beau- hope it's nothing serious.

BUT, I would stay away from the pepto- it has aspirin in it.

Use pepcid 20mg 1 x a day- early in the morning. Much better.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

We don't have the gurgling thing, but we do feed twice a day, and treats throughout, including before bed.

I am a FIRM believer in Gas X, and I religiously give it with each meal. My "theory" ... well, it started before we had an Evet in this area. I gave it to hopefully prevent bloat. Now? I give it anyway, for that reason, and to prevent gas.

I'd give yours treats throughout the day, and at bed time, and you could also try the Gas X. Good Luck!

Another vote for Gas X or Phazyme for the gurglies. :nod

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest jerseygirl

One of my greys has the same exact problem - episodic gurgling that you can hear from 3 rooms away, restlessness, and a strong desire to eat grass (never vomits, just comes out the, um, other end). We switched her to a grain-free food a few months ago (Taste of the Wild), and she has had only 1 episode since then. We also added a supplement called "Digest All" made by Wholistic Pet. I know there can be a number of causes of stomach issues, but since yours sounds similar, I thought I'd mentioned what happened to work for us.

Liz