Do Snoods Work Well For Ear Injuries?

Poor little iggy Jesse had a chunk taken out of his ear by mean ol' Dandi. :angryfire I should have been more observant. and know Dandi too well to have not predicted his behavior.

Anyway, of course the house (and my new car - WAH!) are a bloodbath, and even though he's at the vet's, trying to get the tissue to clot and stop bleeding, I know these suckers can bleed like crazy.

I thought a snood might be a good compression dressing until the ear heals - has this worked for anyone else? Any other suggestions? (My vet thought an e-collar might keep him from shaking his head.)

I will not let this happen again. Bought new baby gates to keep the iggies segregated. My idiocy has been outed. :blush

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest Sunset123

I think that an ecollar would be safer. With the snood he can still scratch at it with his paws or rub it on things. (And he probably will, because it will be itchy.)

Edited by Sunset123

Better than anything I could come up with. The e-collar or the bite not collars only work if shaking the head isn't reopening the wound.

Someone recommended a piece cut out of a pair of control top pantihose--didn't work here, but it might be worth trying.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greybookends

Last year a cat had the misfortune of getting into my backyard while the gang was outside. The cat did not go down without a fight. Sheana had to have surgery to repair her ear. This is what the vet had to prevent her from shaking her ears.

Picture1116.jpg

It is like vet wrap but it is a sleeve. I think for an iggy maybe you could cut a white sock and use it? I would not use anything with dyes.

Edited by greybookends

Guest greytbookert

When our Annie had her ear degloved. We used burn pads as a dressing, not sure if you'll need those, if it is just a chunk out of the ear. In order to keep the ear mobile, we tried a snood (actually a few different kinds) and found that they slid down pretty easily. What did work was cutting the sleeve of a long sleeved tshirt and using that as a snood. The fit around the head was tight enough but not too tight. I had to fiddle with just the right shirt, the ones with cuffs worked the best.

Good luck! It might be hard the first few days until you find something that will work, but you'll get through it, I promise!

Last year a cat had the misfortune of getting into my backyard while the gang was outside. The cat did not go down without a fight. Sheana had to have surgery to repair her ear. This is what the vet had to prevent her from shaking her ears.

Picture1116.jpg

It is like vet wrap but it is a sleeve. I think for an iggy maybe you could cut a white sock and use it? I would not use anything with dyes.

Ahhh! That's great! It actually looks like stockinette, which comes in large rolls, and is used under casts to protect the skin. I think you're right - a cotton sock or something that will fit firmly over his head and ears might work. Thank you!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest Energy11

A snood is a GREAT idea!

When Goldie bit Oakly's ear, I used surgical "fish net type" bandage, after wrapping it with kling (conforming gauze).

Ears are hard to deal with, for sure. Good Luck!

Some info. from my first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds ... FYI.

Ears:

Bites and cuts on the ears:

**Remember, ears, like any other extremities, WILL BLEED A LOT! DO NOT be alarmed, this is normal.( There are a lot of capillaries in ears, feet, face and tails). These little tiny blood vessels bleed a lot! Just hold pressure with your hands or a tissue, and the bleeding should stop.

**Always have the following on hand: Kwik-Stop, large 3X4 band aids, smaller band aids, Trypzyme-V spray or ointment, or triple-antiboitic ointment, and some conforming gauze, aka, Kling., or Tubular stretch Surgical bandage (*comes in different sizes and looks like a fish-net stocking). You can order different sizes on this website:

http://www.medplususa.com/list-index-p-Bandage_Retainers-cp-207.html. (Copy and paste for site).

* You can also stop minor bleeding with Kwik Stop, cover with antibacterial ointment of your choice, use a non-stick bandage or band aid, and affix the ear to the dog’s head with either, Kling (conforming gauze,) or the tubular stretch bandage. This will keep the dog from shaking off the bandage. Re-dress daily, and see your vet for an oral antibiotic and follow-up care.

Edited by Energy11

Used a sock here, just snipped the toe end open. Otherwise knee highs or the cuff end of an old sweatshirt.

Dandi :shakefinger Play nice.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We had a foster get nailed by a stray cat in our yard. Ear was bleeding like crazy. I put his bellyband around his head and tied it with

a bandana as a quick fix to stop blood from spraying everywhere. Worked great and the vet could hardly find the cut when I got him there.

We keep a belly band and a bandana in the drawer by the door just in case it ever happens again.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05