Need Good Thoughts Friends Gh Od On Prozac

Guest zoolaine

I found this on Prozac overdose.

What happens if I overdose the pet: Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms of overdose may include nausea, vomiting, fever, sleepiness, rapid or uneven heartbeat, panting and irritability, confusion, fainting, seizures, and coma.

I don't know if they got to her fast enough to prevent these or not, but it sounds like what she's experiencing now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh, my gosh, the poor little girl! Sending prayers that she continues to improve.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest zoolaine

I found this on Prozac overdose.

What happens if I overdose the pet: Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms of overdose may include nausea, vomiting, fever, sleepiness, rapid or uneven heartbeat, panting and irritability, confusion, fainting, seizures, and coma.

I don't know if they got to her fast enough to prevent these or not, but it sounds like what she's experiencing now.

It does sound like what she is going through. They tried to make her vomit at the ER vet but not much came up. I think Derby is a chewer and with the pills being the chewable tabs I would think they would dissolve pretty quick if she chewed them vs swallowing them whole. In hindsight she should have made her vomit at home (with hydrogen peroxide??? I need to look this up before I need it in an emergency). She did have the sleepiness, rapid heartbeat, panting, confusion and they are calling the tremors focal seizures. But she ate the tabs on Friday late afternoon - wouldn't the symptoms from the OD itself be gone within 24-48 hours???? And the vet didn't think that because it was Cooper's meds, who weighs a lot less that it shouldn't have bothered her that much.

I really pray this is just temporary and she gets better. She is a sweet girl. Ange has had her since January and she gets a little goofier every day :wub::lol

The vet is supposed to call her in a couple of hours and I will update then. She is going talk to him about a possible vaccine reaction.

Guest zoolaine

The drug company - for Reconcile - has talked to the vet several times and said that Derby's symptoms are very similar to a sensitivity to the drug, but it would usually go away within 48 hours. They want to follow Derby and see how she does as she seems to be having a rare reaction to it - maybe they will pay for everything B) doubt it though. Or give Cooper free Prozac for life :lol The ER vet even charged both Derby and Cooper the $100 emergency fee to basically just walk in their doors, they could have gat least given them a "family" rate. She will pick Derby up this evening and has taken most of tomorrow off so she can keep an eye on her. But it sounds like she is slowly improving.

Guest eaglflyt

It sounds as if this pup may have tardive dyskinesia, which happens in some humans taking Prozac. "More rarely, fluoxetine has been associated with related movement disorders acute dystonia and tardive dyskinesia."

Tardive dyskinesia is involuntary movement of neck, facial, tongue and other regional muscles.

Also, Prozac stays in the system a L-O-N-G time ....

"The extremely slow elimination of fluoxetine and its active metabolite norfluoxetine from the body distinguishes it from other antidepressants. With time, fluoxetine and norfluoxetine inhibit their own metabolism, so fluoxetine elimination half-life changes from 1 to 3 days, after a single dose, to 4 to 6 days, after long-term use."

So, you're looking at approx. 1 - 3 days for the liver to rid just 1/2 of the dosage. Another 1 - 3 days to get rid of just 1/2 that remains ... and so on. It will take quite some time for it to completely clear.

Holy cow, that's a long time to stay in the body. Hope she continues to improve.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Really hope she continues to improve. FWIW, there have been no problems with rabies vaccines here -- dunno what that's all about.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending many prayers that she is feeling better and she continues to feel better....

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest zoolaine

I saw Derby this afternoon at work and she definitely is doing better - thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts for her. She was still sleepy and kinda out of it but that was probably from the meds the vet had given her that day.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

It sounds as if this pup may have tardive dyskinesia, which happens in some humans taking Prozac. "More rarely, fluoxetine has been associated with related movement disorders acute dystonia and tardive dyskinesia."

Tardive dyskinesia is involuntary movement of neck, facial, tongue and other regional muscles.

Also, Prozac stays in the system a L-O-N-G time ....

"The extremely slow elimination of fluoxetine and its active metabolite norfluoxetine from the body distinguishes it from other antidepressants. With time, fluoxetine and norfluoxetine inhibit their own metabolism, so fluoxetine elimination half-life changes from 1 to 3 days, after a single dose, to 4 to 6 days, after long-term use."

So, you're looking at approx. 1 - 3 days for the liver to rid just 1/2 of the dosage. Another 1 - 3 days to get rid of just 1/2 that remains ... and so on. It will take quite some time for it to completely clear.

My Flag from the above... she needs to be on Milk Thistle asap and ongoing for liver support... will help with getting the stuff out of her system.

Guest zoolaine

Derby came to work this morning and is snoozing by my feet as I type this. She is doing a lot better. Thanks for all the good thoughts for Pricess Derby.

Guest spaztastic_fam

Derby continues to have tremors but otherwise is improving. The drug company believes it was from her eating the pills but she is an "outlier". They are interested in doing a study on her...meanwhile she is mostly resting and eating all of Coopers dog food!! :)

Guest spaztastic_fam

Oh yeah and thank you so much for all the great thoughts and prayers...I also thought of tardive dyskinesia and asked my vet about it. Oh and Holli...I love the picture of Derby and Cooper!! My babies are so cute and sweet!!!

Thanks for the support!! :)