Roger's Birthday Cake

Guest Rogersmom

Guest Rogersmom

Here is the recipe for the cake I made Roger for his birthday. I made the cake ahead of time and froze it. I frosted it the day of the party as I discovered that mashed sweet potato frosting did not freeze well. I have tried to consider every detail for those you are not experienced cooks.

I think the cake is pretty simple to make as it is basically a meat loaf. Enjoy!

Bowzer's Birthday Cake

from "The Good Food Cookbook for Dogs” by Donna Twichell Roberts,

2004 by Quarry Books, p. 95.

Adapted by Liz Ronky

Ingredients

1 pound of ground turkey or chicken

2 carrots diced

1 10 ounce (284 g) package frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry

1 cup (165 g) cooked brown rice

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

1 egg slightly beaten

2 hard boiled eggs, sliced

Directions

1. Place turkey, carrots, spinach, brown rice , oil, and raw egg in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.

2. Pat half the mixture into a greased and waxed-paper-lined 9 inch (22.5 cm) cake pan.

3. Layer hard-cooked egg slices over mixture, then top with remaining meat mixture. Bake in a preheated

350 ° F (180° C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until done.

4. Remove from oven and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Using a large spatula, remove from pan, draining

off any grease, and allow to cool on platter for 15 minutes before frosting and serving. Makes 1 cake

layer.

Note: to make a layer cake, double recipe and use two 9 inch (22.5 cm) cake pans. When cake layers are baked and cooled, place one layer on plate. Spread with about 2 cups (420 g) mashed potatoes, then place other cake layer on top of mashed potato filling. Using a pastry bag with a large star tip, make mashed potato rosettes for candles, if desired.

You can also use any size pan that you want and make a one layer cake like I did for Roger’s birthday.

I purchased an aluminum foil pan at the dollar store and baked his cake in it. I tripled the recipe. The pan I used was approximately 11” x 20”. Be careful when you turn the cake out as there will be hot liquid fat

From cooking the meat so do not get burned.. I think it would be best to cool the cake in the pan after pouring off the liquid fat (save this and pour it over dry kibble for a special treat.)

I cut a cardboard box to use as a dish for the cake and covered it with aluminum foil as I do not have

a plate large enough for the cake I made for Roger’s birthday.

Note by Liz Ronky

I use instant mashed potatoes for the frosting. I make them in the microwave using the 6 serving recipe and frost the entire cake with mashed potatoes. This cake can be frozen. I have not seen a dog yet turn its nose up on this cake.

Given that Roger is allergic to many of these ingredients, I have adapted the recipe to eliminate eggs, white potato, and poultry. I replaced the ground poultry with ground beef. I eliminated the hard boiled egg and used flaxseed gel to replace the egg, slightly beaten. I frosted the cake with mashed sweet potatoes instead of instant mashed potatoes.

Flaxseed Gel

Use one part flaxseed to three parts water. Blend completely in blended. Use ¼ cup to equal one egg.

Smashed Sweet Potatoes

Use about four to five sweet potatoes that are about the size of your hand. Peel them and cut them up into pieces. (The smaller the pieces the quicker they cook). Place them in a large pot with enough water to cover them. Do not cover the pot as it could over flow during cooking. Bring the water/potatoes to a boil and boil for about 15 minutes. Stick a potato piece with a tooth pick or fork to see if it is soft. (They should be really soft). When soft, remove the pot from the stove, drain the water off, and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Use an electric beater to whip up the sweet potatoes so they are the consistency of mashed potatoes. I do not use any butter or milk like I would if I were making them for furless kids but I suppose you could add a little if you liked. You may have extra moisture in the bowl after whipping up the potatoes so just drain this off. Frost cake as above.

(If you end up with left over after frosting the cake, you can always freeze this and save it for a time when the big D strikes.)

If you have any questions, please ask. I will be happy to help.

Hope you pups enjoy this as much as mine does.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll be printing that off and putting it in my "dog treats" file!

Did you take pictures of Roger with his cake? If so, I'd love to see them!

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Thanks so Much!!!! We will be putting the recipe to work, Jasmine and Aladdins birthday is next month. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter