Pimphagus

Guest canterbd

Guest canterbd

I know this isnt a common health problem but anyone out there having problems with pimphagus? Our Brody is breaking out in all kinds of growths as a result. Tons of prednisolne and antibiotics with no change.

Did you mean pemphigus? ;) It is an immune-mediated disease and sadly we do see a fair share of this with our hounds. There are also many other skin diseases that sound like what you are describing. If your hound is not responding to the current medical protocol that your vet prescribed I urge you to seek out another opinion--prehaps from a cert. derm Dr. Sorry Brody is not well :(

edited 'cause I never proof read before I post :lol

Edited by tbhounds

Because I'd never heard of this, I Googled "pemphigus". Lots of links turned up, but I started with this one:

http://autoimmunedis...anine_pemphigus

It mentions that there are several types of the disorder and that successful treatment depends on id-ing the sub-type. It also said that treatment is probably life-long and that changing food, especially to a raw diet, may be helpful. You can get lots of help on feeding raw from our own Food & Dietary section here on GT. smile.gif (We feed a combo of raw and commercial kibble/canned to one of our dogs who has severe intestinal problems.)

Edited to add: Welcome to GT! welcome2.gif Besides discussing troubles, we also have fun here, as I hope you will too.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Is this the same thing as SLO? I just placed a dog with SLO and he is doing well very quickly with fish oil supplements. His nails are already healing and not bothering him.

:nod Diet helps a lot. If you are not able to feed a raw diet, look for a grain-free kibble, like Taste of the Wild. My Pinky has autoimmune problems (lupus, kind of SLO but not as severe as some, her's is more a mix of mild SLO and discoid lupus) and she eats Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It's fish based, lots of good Omega 3s there :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--