Not The News I Wanted

Valor is 12, he has been slowing down a lot lately. He has a growth on his inner thigh I recently noticed. The vet did an aspirate and sent it out. It came back as a mast cell tumor. I'm considering treatment options at this time. Biopsy to grade tumor has not been done yet, surgery to remove and get clean margins does not seem possible due to location. I will talk to my vet this week to discuss other options but am looking for others who have been through this and their experiences. Thanks

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Guest ChasesMum

thoughts and prayers coming your way - so sorry you have joined our cancer club - we really don't want any new members

:nod

so sorry to hear your news. hopefully it is very treatable!

Guest tinams8

I have a dog with mast cell. She had a grade 2 tumor taken off when she was 2 years old. She is now 10. She has some lumps on her now that may or may not be MCT, but the surgery is difficult and I don't want to put her through it again. Since they are not growing quickly, and they are not in good spots for removal, I have chosen to let them be. I had some lumps taken off about a year back and several were sebaceous cysts, and one was suspicious but we did not biopsy. Some tumors are less aggressive and will do nothing for years, which is what I am hoping for. So far, so good.

I have her on a supplement called curcumin that I think may be helping to shrink the tumors, and if nothing else, it's not hurting her. I have posts on here if you want to search on it, or look online where you will find lots of info.

There's a drug out for dogs AFTER mct surgery that you could also talk to your vet about. I don't have experience with it.

So sorry to hear about your boy. Ask lots of questions at the vet.

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty ( now 6 Years old ) had a Mast Cell Tumor removed about 3 Weeks ago.It was on his left Hindend Thigh/Butt Area. The Vet called me to tell me that he had a clean Margin on all Sides. Now the Area is easy to get to and it was relatively an easy Surgery. But he did tell me , that they can pop up anywhere. Morty is doing fine smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Keeping you and your Pup Valor in my Prayers hope.gifhope.gifhope.gif

Edited by IrskasMom

I'm sorry to hear this news. You may have already done a search, but there are several threads on here re: mast cell carcinoma. I had a scare with my galgo, Cruz, back in the winter. He had a lump come up on a foreleg that was suspicious, based on the needle aspiration at my vet's office. My vet removed it with wide margins. This was scary to me since there is very little extra skin on a foreleg. Anyway it was a long healing process to say the least. But when the full biopsy came back after the surgery it wasn't a mast cell tumor! It was some sort of bizarre fungal thing that was releasing histamines into his system similiar to a mast cell tumor. I was relieved, of course, that it wasn't cancer, but I felt horrible that I had put him through that surgery for no reason. It's so hard to know what to do sometimes.

Anyway if you haven't already, use the search function to find the previous threads on treatment and prognosis for mast cell cancer. Keep us posted.

Sending good thoughts to you and Valor. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Greytluv

My 11 yo springer had a mast cell right above her back knee. The vet had to go back in and get clean margins. She died at 17 with no recurrence.

Good luck with whatever route you take.

My Bijou is in the same boat. A Mast Cell on her inner right hind leg. Because of the location they wouldn't be able to get a clean margin. She is almost 12. It was swollen to the point of cutting off the circulation to her lower leg. I did a combo of warm and cold compresses and when she would roach I would massage the lower leg and in a few days the swelling went down, circulation was back. Even the area around the tumor has shrunk. The vet gave me some prednisone to give her if the swelling flared up and I have some Benedryl as well.

Bijou is now acting like nothing is wrong. But you can see the mass on the leg. It doesn't seem to be slowing her down. Not all pups are the same, just giving you my personal experience I'm going through.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

No advice, just :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Linda, our lady greyhound, Tabba, had a mast cell tumor on the top of her muzzle of all places, where it was all cartilage. I don't know how they did it, but it was removed. She was 8 at the time. Three years later when she was about Valor's age she got one on her chest. Took it off; it was grade three and the diagnosis was poor. She lived to almost 13 anyway. It was worth doing.

You really need to have it excised and submitted to the path Dr's at the lab where they can grade it before you worry too much (I know easy for me to say right?) MCT's have 4 different grades--grade 1 is considered basically benign--remove it and forget about it--grade 2 mct's are a bit more tricky-they can behave like grade 1's or like grade 3's--there is a test that can determine that. Grade 3's are more serious--many times they will met and spread--aggressive therapy will most likely be needed. Sadly grade 4's--well, lucky for us they are uncommon. So, my point is--have it excised even if your Dr's don't think they can achieve clean margins so, you know just what your dealing with. ;)

My Bijou is in the same boat. A Mast Cell on her inner right hind leg. Because of the location they wouldn't be able to get a clean margin. She is almost 12. It was swollen to the point of cutting off the circulation to her lower leg. I did a combo of warm and cold compresses and when she would roach I would massage the lower leg and in a few days the swelling went down, circulation was back. Even the area around the tumor has shrunk. The vet gave me some prednisone to give her if the swelling flared up and I have some Benedryl as well.

Bijou is now acting like nothing is wrong. But you can see the mass on the leg. It doesn't seem to be slowing her down. Not all pups are the same, just giving you my personal experience I'm going through.

Greg

Greg, that's amazing and important info. Thanks for sharing that. I never would have thought to do any of that.

Lots of prayers.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.