Laryngeal Paralysis Symptoms?

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

What are the symptoms of LP? We talked to the vet yesterday as Lola is doing a cough/pant/throat clearing thing. Chuck calls is wheezing but it doesn't sound like that to me. The vet said even if it is LP, it's not at a serious stage. Thanks!

Rough-sounding breathing/panting. Somebody -- dmswartzfager? -- posted a video/audio of one of their dogs doing it. Might try searching her topics here in H&M to see if you can find it. Usually vets don't want to treat until it gets pretty bad -- the surgery and aftercare have some risks. Hope that whatever Lola has, it remains minor!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MyCody

Cody had LP and we were careful not to let him stay out in the heat at all, kept the AC going at all times. Our vet said the most dangerous time for LP sufferers was when it was hot, so we only let him out to do his business and brought him right in.

He had one episode where he couldn't breath and his tongue and gums were turning purple, very very frightening for him and for us. We struggled to get him to the vet who had oxygen ready and it never happened again, thank God.

Tracy, my 13 year old, was just diagnosed with LP after a severe episode that sent her to the e-vet. In her case over excitement was the trigger that started the episode and before I could get her to the e-vet she was overheating from the excessive panting. 10 hours later after being sedated, given oxygen, steriods and I forget what else, she was much better.

Because she gets so excited when she gets to go in the car she is now no longer able to go anywhere unless it's absolutely necessary. She will need to be given a sedative before going so that she doesn't trigger another bad episode. The e-vet basically said if I opted to not do the surgery (and at 13 I chose not to do that) then she needed a lifetlye change which meant no more trips in the car and to be very careful about the amount of exertion she experienced. She loved going to meet & greets but she is slowly getting used to being left home now instead of going with us.

The extreme heat we've been having here in southeast Virginia has also been very difficult on her. But she just goes out for very short periods to do her business and then it's back in the house. When she's calm and in the AC she's perfectly fine and other than the LP diagnosis she is extremely healthy and happy.

I'm sure others on the forum who have more experience with this than I do will give you some great information. Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

Guest Smiley

Our vet thought Peanut had a mild case of LP. Her biggest symptom was coughing water back up after drinking. You may want to contact Kim Sommer of Fast Jack-she and Scott had a lot of experience with one of their grey's who had LP. They saw a whole gammut of symptoms. Our vet did say there is a surgery for LP, but his recommendation was to only do it if the symptoms became serious.

My dog with mild LP made a chuffing noise & his voice changed. Your "cough/pant/throat clearing thing" is very similar to how I described it to the neurologist. He also tended to sputter & gag on water however he also had pharyngeal & esophageal problems so I cannot say this was related to LP. As he was not physically able to do a lot of exercise at that time I cannot say whether his breathing would have been effected by that exertion. He was about 8 yo when the neurologist confirmed he almost certainly had LP but the chuffing had started at least a year earlier. As he was not a candidate for surgery we did not have him scoped to positively confirm that diagnosis. Will add that his symptoms may have started much earlier. Soon after I adopted Daniel at age 3 yo he earned the nickname Diesel Dan because of his unbelievably loud, throaty sounding panting. A friend described talking to me on the phone when Dan was nearby as having a vicarious obscene phone call. :lol

Guest argolola

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the information. At her age, almost 12, we would opt for her not to have surgery, as she has been through so much already (eye surgery, heartworms before we adopted her, a dog attack.) It does get worse when she gets excited.