Feeling Like A Failure

I own a grey,dalmatian and stand poo. We have enjoyed 4 foster greys over 2 years and have staycations for others in our group. This last 8yo former pet was returned to our group due to changes in living arrangements. He was well kept and vetted by a nurse for 6yrs after sdoption from a shelter. He has been a good boy....up to last night. He attacked our 22yo russian Blue cat. Threw her around like a ragdoll. She has not moved ,eaten, or responed to activity. No blood was found,but at this age xrays etc are not going to happen. I have contacted our group to rehome the cat-tested dog. The last foster punctured my grey in the neck over a high level treat....day brfore he went to his adoptive home. I'm getting gun shy about another. Maybe my luck is running out.I love recycling these beautiful creatures,but living with muzzled dogs is not right for me. Sad day for the household

Guest Swifthounds

So sorry you've had such negative experiences. Muzzles and management (crates, baby gates, etc.) are key to keeping resident dogs and cats safe with fosters awaiting homes.

I'm so sorry your cat was injured. I'm assuming she'll be going to the vet as soon as they open? Hoping for the best ...... Muzzles are your friends. My current dogs are muzzled or separated whenever no one can keep an eye on them -- including when I'm out in the front yard. Doesn't hurt to have them on but might hurt not to have them on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

I'm so sorry about your kitty, I hope she will be OK. :hope I have a lot of little foster dogs in and out so my greys are muzzled all of the time when the little guys are loose in the house. I'd rather be safe than sorry and none of them seem bothered in the least be wearing the muzzles.

Wow, I'm sorry, that's a horrible experience with the cat. Please don't feel like a failure. Just like we occasionally get into a spat with others we usually get along with, animals do too. However, animals come well-armed from the factory, so "spats" can be quite deadly. As others said, muzzles are your friends. It doesn't sound like it's your fault, though. Maybe just have some time away from fostering until you get your confidence and comfort level back again.

Prayers for the cat. Poor little guy!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I did not do vet intervention. The grey group would have reinburse,but that was not important. Kitty has remained calm all day. No food yet but a small glass of milk disappeared during the night with her closed off. I placed her in her litter box and light yellow pee so kidneys ok. I think she is brused like a car wreck and may take time...Sadly the foster grey has moved on. It was a tearful bye bye and a long lonesome ride home,but he is happy with another dog I placed.

Guest Jubilee251

Yikes, sorry to hear about your bad experiences! It sounds like you've just had a string of crappy luck, and I don't think it's because they're greyhounds. Any kinds of dogs can get into a spat, especially with high-value treats and in a "pack." I agree with the others - maybe take a break from fostering. Muzzles and crates are definitely a good preventative measure, especially with a new foster dog you don't know well, but remember there are lots of greys out there who, after you get to know them and they settle in, don't need to be crated or muzzled (I have two) and are "perfect."

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I know you dont want to hear this, but it should be obvious to you that muzzles are a requirement for new hounds when introduced into your home. I just dont understand why people think muzzles are such a bad thing. A muzzle is a piece of safety equipment for hounds, cats, and people alike. Would you let your 6 year old child ride a skateboard without a helmet? Then why would you bring in a new hound into your house and not protect your family by putting a muzzle on the hound? It is not to say that every hound will attack or is inclined to, but just like riding a bike, or a skateboard, things happen. Would you drive a car without a seatbelt?

I know you dont want to hear this, but it should be obvious to you that muzzles are a requirement for new hounds when introduced into your home. I just dont understand why people think muzzles are such a bad thing. A muzzle is a piece of safety equipment for hounds, cats, and people alike. Would you let your 6 year old child ride a skateboard without a helmet? Then why would you bring in a new hound into your house and not protect your family by putting a muzzle on the hound? It is not to say that every hound will attack or is inclined to, but just like riding a bike, or a skateboard, things happen. Would you drive a car without a seatbelt?

I don't believe I ever said muzzles are a bad thing. This new to our group foster was an established pet in a home for 6 yrs and work sched changed and the travel nurse gave up the dog to a group instead of hit or miss at a shelter. The dog was cat tested at vetting before I took him on.Up to this point he never botherd the possums,squirrels or free-range cats crapping in our yard. Anyways he has gone to a new foster home and I can see him at M&G

So sorry about the kittie and what you all went through and quite relieved she seems to be better. What did the vet say about the kitty when she went?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I am sorry, I must have misunderstood your statement "I love recycling these beautiful creatures,but living with muzzled dogs is not right for me." It just sounds like you dont like to muzzle from this statement.

Guest Bean_Scotch

I'm agreeing with a few other posted. Even though a grey has lived in a prior home, your house is a new situation. Muzzles, Baby gates and keeping foster separated from existing pets when not under supervision is a must. I've fostered over 34 dogs. Everyone of them is muzzled on arrival. From cat killers to dogs that sleep with them. They've all been here and we've managed without incident. They've been wearing a muzzle for almost as long as they've been wearing a collar. If you can put a collar on your greyhound you can put a muzzle on him.

It's also even written in my groups foster rules that you need to muzzle the foster and keep them under supervision until you know all is well.