Joe Joe Update

Come on Joe, your mom misses you at home. Keep fighting and hugs to mom.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smiley

Keeping you and Joe close in my thoughts and prayers Jane. Thanks for the updates-I'll keep checking back! Many hugs to you both!

Good thoughts for Joe and you. I am sure they are taking good care of him and I really hope he improves today/tomorrow so he can come home soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Yes Mary Pat, Joey has been in ICU all of this time. I am just not thinking about the bill. If Dr. Couto thinks this is what he needs, I will figure out a way to pay for it.

They are going to cut back on the IV fluids to a normal amount tonight. Tomorrow morning they are going to cut back on the stuff that helps the effusion. Then in the afternoon they are going to check his blood protein. It is normally about 20. It dropped to 9 on Monday. This morning it was 10.5. His urine looked almost normal this afternoon.

If his blood protein has increased, they are considering sending him home tomorrow late afternoon or evening. I would need to bring him back on Thursday for another blood test. Friday we would also go back for a bandage change and probably a blood test.

He looked pretty good this morning. His legs are still swollen. They had some of the bandage off so I could see the edema at the incision and his chest. The chest pocket is about 4 by 5 by 2 inches and the one at his incision looks to be about the same size.

To top it all off, Iams has recalled the prescription food that my Shelby eats. Joe's vet wrote her a prescription for Science Diet Kidney diet and I filled it at OSU, ouch! It was $35 for 10 pounds. But I don't have time to go to their regular vet to get the food. If Shelby does OK on this new diet (she got the big D on the Purina kidney diet), I will call my vet to see what they charge. I just never got around to researching a home made kidney diet.

So far I have seen no indication of Salmonella in Shelby. I don't know if IAMS will pay for a test. If not, I will just monitor her stools. If she develops diarrhea, I will have to get a sample in to be tested. Hopefully any diarrhea will be a reaction to the new food.

Jane

I've been following Joe's progress & I hope he can come home soon. All appendages crossed for you & him.I just saw that recall from P&G (Eukanuba & Iams). Awful that it's the prescription food this time. :( If you want any help with a homemade kidney diet, I'm sure there are people here who can help - so just ask.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I haven't posted much recently, but I have been checking for updates every day and sending good healing thoughts to Joe. You really have your hands full right now. I hope Shelby's transition to the new food goes smoothly and that Joe does well at home.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh, so much going on for you! Please know that you and Joe Joe are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Jane, the recall notice says that they haven't actually found salmonella in any of the foods--just that there is a risk of it. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm220780.htm

My guys eat the non-veterinary Eukanuba Naturally Wild (venison formula) that's been recalled. It's the only food I can give Sam that doesn't result in soft poop and bi-weekly diarrhea blow-outs.

But I had bought two bags in June. They've finished all of one bag and are halfway through the second...and they're fine, so I think I'm going to let them finish this bag, then figure out what to do when that runs out.

Best wishes to you and your babies.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Good on you Joe!!! Keep it up and you'll be running around like your old self! And as for the steak and liver, you got it good now boy as your Momma won't refuse you anything. She might say things now but she'll cave.

AMEN!! Jane will SURELY cave. I know I would!

All joking aside, Jane, you must feel like you're in a tunnel, but there's a light at the end!!! Hang in there.

All these prayers & good wishes must certainly work.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.