Joe Joe Update

Joe does have some breaking down of the muscle fiber and some internal bleeding. They did check with Dr. Couto last night. He said that it is unusual for the internal bleeding to happen this late in the game but that it is not unheard of. The breaking down of the muscle fiber is probably because he walked a bit too much.

They are monitoring his packed cell volume. It went from a normal 58 to the high 30s. Of course they have blood there to transfuse if necessary. Unfortunately (or probably fortunately) Joe last donated on June 14, so there is none of his blood left. Of course he has been on Amicar since the surgery and will continue to receive it.

This morning, his urine output was good but he still had blood in it. They think this is just a temporary setback and that he will recover just fine. They know to call me if there is any chance he won't make it. I would camp out at OSU 24/7 if necessary.

Jane

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drat. Fingers crossed the bleeding will stop soon. Sending prayers and lots of ear noogies to hold in reserve for when you see him again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Praying that the bleeding stops soon and he's back on the road to recovery and can come home.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Jane,

We are hoping Joejoe kicks butt and gets better very soon so he can come home. We will be thinking you and him.

Come one Joe buddy, you can do it, get better so you can come home and enjoy your steak and liver!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending prayers that Joe Joe continues to improve and can come home soon.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

continuing to send many prayers Joe and your way, Jane!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My internet continues to be very slow most of the time. Sorry for the delay between updates.

The main worry now is that his blood protein levels are half what they should be. This causes fluid from his arteries and veins to leak into his tissues. He is still breaking down muscle tissue some but not as bad as before. The internal bleeding appears to have stopped but it is hard to tell. They don't know why his blood protein has dropped or where the protein is going. Because of the blood in his urine from the muscle breakdown/bleeding a urinalysis showing high protein doesn't necessarily mean he is losing protein through his kidneys. His blood work shows that the kidneys are OK.

So they are continuing to walk the fine line between giving extra IV fluids to support his kidneys and giving too much which would cause more effusion. He is getting medications (I can't remember the name) to help prevent effusion.

Essentially, all they can do is provide supportive care at this point. It is up to Joey to get his blood protein levels up.

His protein levels this morning were slightly better than last night. This is the first time since this problem came up that they have increased. I hope this means that he is on the road to recovery.

Joey continues to eat well. They are mixing my liver and steak into canned dog food and he is eating all of it.

I saw him yesterday evening. He is on IV fentanyl and gets tramadol so he doesn't appear to be in any pain. He is able to turn over by himself. He recognizes me and seems to enjoy the ear and neck rubs. He has a foley catheter so they can monitor his urine output and keep track of the color. They have not gotten him up to walk much, thinking the muscle breakdown might have been from too much activity too soon.

His legs are swollen and they told me he has a little swelling in the chest area.

I will see him at 4 today. I need to make him some more food. I am going to add some carrots to the steak, liver, and potatoes.

Jane

Ah, this is so rough on Joe AND you! It's hard to see him like that and not be exactly sure of what's going on. I so hope that when you see him later today that he is doing much better. I know he appreciates having Mom there.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Hang in there, Joe! Sending hugs for momma and ongoing prayers for Joe.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.