Joe Joe Update

I just had to post again tonight. I just got a call from Joe's oncologist, Dr. Portella. She said that Joe got up and walked all the way from his run and out the front door. He did his business and walked back to his run. This is a long walk. I am guessing that it is about 500 feet round trip. He did start trembling on his way back, but even 250 feet is phenomenal, given that he screamed when he stood up for the first time just over 24 hours ago.

She asked me to come in tomorrow morning. She feels it will be beneficial to him. I can't wait.

She did tell me that they offered him some canned food mixed with my special steak/liver combo. The stinker picked out all the steak and liver and left the canned food.

Looks like I might have to do some re-training once he gets home.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigorangedog

I just had to post again tonight. I just got a call from Joe's oncologist, Dr. Portella. She said that Joe got up and walked all the way from his run and out the front door. He did his business and walked back to his run. This is a long walk. I am guessing that it is about 500 feet round trip. He did start trembling on his way back, but even 250 feet is phenomenal, given that he screamed when he stood up for the first time just over 24 hours ago.

She asked me to come in tomorrow morning. She feels it will be beneficial to him. I can't wait.

She did tell me that they offered him some canned food mixed with my special steak/liver combo. The stinker picked out all the steak and liver and left the canned food.

Jane

THIS IS GREAT!!! Go Joe!! :colgate

Well, of COURSE he wants steak and venison! Smart guy! Handsome, too! Sending many prayers for healing and hugs of comfort to you and JoeJoe.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Jane

I'm glad Joe is doing so well!

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest fandogs

GOOOOO Joe Joe!

Gorgeous dog! And obviously not too dumb. Not surprising he figured a way to eat the good stuff.

Hope his recuperation continues with NO complications.

Good on you Joe!!! Keep it up and you'll be running around like your old self! And as for the steak and liver, you got it good now boy as your Momma won't refuse you anything. She might say things now but she'll cave.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh Jane, he sounds like he's doing so well.

I'm smiling here though. Remember when Diamond was evaluated? They all said that she would do fine as a tripod but would probably have a longer recover due to her age. She was up and walking the next day. Surprised the heck out of all of them. Then here comes your Joejoe.........half her age, and he has to be carried around.

I loved that he screamed when he messed his bed.

go joe!! we're cheering for you!! thanks for the update, jane - you better run to the store for some more steak and liver before joe comes home :) are you done with your house re-do for joe?? we're anxious to hear he's home!!!

I went to see Joe this morning. They were considering sending him home since he was doing so well, but he started peeing red blood just after I got there. They are pretty sure it is myoglobulin and not an indication of internal bleeding or poor clotting. For those who don't know, if the urine is a deep red, almost black, it usually means that the dog is breaking down muscle tissue. This commonly happens with heat stroke or dehydration. They think perhaps his walks were too much for him. So they are going to do labwork on his urine to ensure that it is myoglobulin. They are also going to put him back on IV fluids to dilute the blood so the kidneys don't have to work as hard.

Hopefully he can come home tomorrow.

Joe has been kind enough to share his steak and liver with a labrador retriever who is also in ICU and is refusing to eat. They tried a little bit of my concoction and he ate some. So they asked me if Joe would mind sharing. Hmmm, maybe there is a business opportunity in this.

In addition to my fan problems, my internet is now running incredibly slow. So I either have a DSL issue, I have picked up some Spyware that my software didn't catch, or maybe I just am not holding my tongue right.

Jane

Great news on the walk Joe! Keep getting stronger. Praying that the IV fluids help.

He really is doing well Jane. I can't wait to hear he is home and settled happily on his own bed.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sorry for the set back but so glad the news overall is good for Joe Joe.

In addition to my fan problems, my internet is now running incredibly slow. So I either have a DSL issue, I have picked up some Spyware that my software didn't catch, or maybe I just am not holding my tongue right.

Hmmm... perhaps your computer is holding out for steak & venison. :)

Sounds like JoeJoe is ready to come home and thrive. Hope the little setback is just that.................a little setback. Sending many prayers for continued progress!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Smiley

Continued good thoughts for Joe and I hope that this little setback will not keep him from coming home tomorrow! And yes, I think the liver/steak deal could be a nice side business for you Jane! :colgate

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Sending prayers for Joe Joe.. He will amaze you once you get your sweet boy home. I've been down that road twice...sending good thoughts your way!

Guest Paige12

Watching to hear the good news that Joe is home with a napkin tucked under his chin and enjoying his filets and liver!! Don't worry about being paranoid about the cleaning, I was right there with you when Paige came home.

I just realized not everyone knows what a handsome boy Joe is -- I'm not biased or anything smile.gif

2008_03140008.jpg

He is beautiful.....Sending him many prayers.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.