Joe Joe Update

Here's today's update:

They started to reduce Joey's (yes he goes by Joe, JoeJoe, Joey, da Joe man, Joey Boy, and on and on) sedation today. I saw him in early afternoon. He was awake and recognized me. I petted him for a few minutes and when I stopped he gave me his "I want something" whine.

So I laid down next to him and rubbed his ears and neck. He put his paw on my arm to ask me to rub his belly. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to with all the bandaging.

They take him outside several times a day and make him stand. He still hasn't been willing to go to the bathroom outside. However, if he does go in his bedding, I am told he gives the Greyhound Scream of Death so everyone knows that he needs new bedding RIGHT NOW!!!

He didn't want to eat any of the canned food they were offering him. Yesterday afternoon I took him some sauteed steak and venison liver cubes. Last night and this morning he ate all of it that they offered him. So he expressly asked me to make some more. I have added some potato to tonight's batch. They will start trying to mix in some canned food. I'm not sure I can afford to feed him nothing but beef steak and venison forever. But we all know if that is all he will eat, I will find a way to pay for it. Maybe I could patent my recipe and get rich.

I stayed as long as they would let me in ICU. When I started to leave, Joey wanted to come with me so he managed to get to his feet, the first time he had done so. Unfortunately he freaked out when he realized he didn't have a leg and gave the GSOD two or three times. He did bump into the wall a bit but his vet student was right there to steady him and help him to lay back down. They were very happy that he got up on his own.

I will take in the new batch of food tomorrow morning. If he calmed down fairly quickly after I left, I may go and see him. Depending on how he feels, they may want me to encourage him to stand up.

They are planning to send him home Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. His doctor's are thinking about moving him to the step down unit on Sunday and keeping him until Monday. OSU likes to keep them for 4 to 5 days -- they say that there are sometimes complications that pop up several days after surgery. They feel comfortable that there will not be any after 5 days.

Since he has been staying remarkably calm and is eating my special food, I think that staying at OSU is just fine. It gives me a little extra time to get the house ready for him and to get stocked up for a couple of weeks of 24/7 care.

I love my goofy Joey Boy with all my heart. I am going to try very hard to live for the moment like he does. I am just such a champion worrier that it is hard to do.

I am so lucky that I live near Dr. Couto and his team.

I am also so very thankful for all of my friends, locally and here on GreyTalk. When I am feeling down (usually in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and don't want to wake anyone up), I just get online and read all the good wishes you have all expressed to us. It means the world to me. Thank you.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give him a hug for me Jane.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks for the update! It sounds like he is doing about the same as Whitey, a day or two after his surgery. Whitey just did not want to try to stand up or walk around. He said, "Carry me!" so we did carry him outside for the first few days. Their brains truly don't realize that there's no leg there anymore, and they only way to get them to "reprogram" is to practice. It's great that he was able to get up on his own for you. Do you have a harness or can you make/borrow one? You're going to need it. Maybe OSU has one to lend. If not, get a long bath towel to support him around his belly. Whitey had a hard time physically for about the 1st 2 weeks, but once he got it, he really got it. He was able to run full out, dig holes, jump into the car, you name it. Just a little slow to start. It's hard as hell to watch them try to figure it out, but they can do it! I'm glad he is resting comfortably and eating his steak!! Wishing you both an easy recovery from here on out!!

Thanks for the update! It sounds like he is doing about the same as Whitey, a day or two after his surgery. Whitey just did not want to try to stand up or walk around. He said, "Carry me!" so we did carry him outside for the first few days. Their brains truly don't realize that there's no leg there anymore, and they only way to get them to "reprogram" is to practice. It's great that he was able to get up on his own for you. Do you have a harness or can you make/borrow one? You're going to need it. Maybe OSU has one to lend. If not, get a long bath towel to support him around his belly. Whitey had a hard time physically for about the 1st 2 weeks, but once he got it, he really got it. He was able to run full out, dig holes, jump into the car, you name it. Just a little slow to start. It's hard as hell to watch them try to figure it out, but they can do it! I'm glad he is resting comfortably and eating his steak!! Wishing you both an easy recovery from here on out!!

I had actually sewed a sling for one of my guests. She very kindly fed-exed it back to me when she heard about my JoeJoe. It is a bit nicer than the ones that OSU has. She had a front leg amputee as well and has given me some insight on how to improve my original design.

Jane, that was a really good update on Joey. He is a gorgeous boy (I have a weakness for big brindle boys). Your homemade food sounds wonderful. All my good wishes continue to go for comfortable healing for Joey. He'll be back home with you before you know it.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Glad to hear that JoeJoe is recovering well. It's a good sign that he's eating --hope he's enjoying his yummies. You are so blessed to be so close to Ohio State and Dr Couto and his team--Joe's in the best hands!

JoeJoe is very handsome hound! That is good news he is eating to help get his strength back. As for staying at OSU a while longer, I am all for that. Our vet hospital did the same for Charlie and it made things A LOT easier when he came home. I believe he was there for 5 days, 4.5 post amp and it did wonders. He came home walking without too many issues and was able to go outside easily.

Jane, we are hoping everything continues to go well for you and JoeJoe. We will continue to pass along good healing thoughts.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

so good to see an update, jane - joe sounds like he's doing well (oh how we all know the gsod - lol) don't tell rivie there's steak -- she is so happy with the chicken breasts (as long as they are processed in the food processor for her)!!!

Thanks for the update on Joe. I was worrying about you all week. He's a handsome man & I'm sure he's one smart cookie. Smart enough to convince you that

he needs steak FUREVER?

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thanks for the update on Joe. I was worrying about you all week. He's a handsome man & I'm sure he's one smart cookie. Smart enough to convince you that

he needs steak FUREVER?

Ha, that's what I was thinking. Am I sense a Winslow-esque personality here? ;)

So glad to hear the good update - sounds like he is doing really well. Keep up the good recovery Joe!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Smiley

Thanks for the update Jane, I'm glad to hear he's doing well. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayer! Give Joe a big hug for us!

Guest Lillysmom

I'm so glad to hear that he attempted to stand on his own! That's wonderful, even if it was pretty traumatic to watch.

Joe is absolutely stunning! Sounds like he's pretty smart about being a picky eater (maybe Tattoo has whispered in his ear what you're willing to do!).....just don't let him get a whiff of Dr. Cristina's chicken and noodles or he'll be hooked and nothing will satisfy him! :P

You are both in our prayers and thoughts constantly. More hugs and love to you both!

Sounds like he's doing well. Hope he's home soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

However, if he does go in his bedding, I am told he gives the Greyhound Scream of Death so everyone knows that he needs new bedding RIGHT NOW!!!
Keep 'em in line, Joey boy! And keep on eating and healing.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I took Joe's food to him this morning but decided not to see him. It only took him about 5 minutes to quiet back down after last nights visit, but I was afraid a visit would upset him. They are weaning him off the IV painkillers so he is more aware of things. I just know he would want to go home with me and not taking him with me would just make him feel worse.

He got up and took a few steps this morning (with the help of a sling). I forgot to ask if he finally did his business outside. He didn't want to eat for them, but they figured out that he wants to go out first, then eat. That's probably my fault. I have two older girls who just can't hold it as long. So when we get up, everyone goes out and pees, then comes inside and eats, then goes outside and poops. I bet he ate for them later on. When I first got him I had to put his muzzle on for him to eat. Otherwise, he scarfed it down so quick it would get stuck in his throat and he would hack it up and spew it all over the floor. So I really don't anticipate much problem with eating.

I ran into one of the oncology senior vets today. She told me that he is coming along just as he should. She said the amputation site is one of the best she's seen in a few years. Very little drainage and bruising. She did comment that he is not walking quite as soon as some of the greyhounds. Since he always put weight on the bad leg before amputation, she said it will take him a little longer to get the hang walking 3 legged.

They will call me tomorrow morning with another update.

I spent today buying runners, cleaning all my floors, cleaning my carpet, etc. I even sterilized the tile with a 10 percent bleach solution. I know, I'm paranoid. I know that nearly all post-surgical infections come from the surgery or the hospital; not external sources. But I still wouldn't forgive myself if he gets an infection that delays chemo and I didn't to everything I could to prevent it. You see, I really am a champion worrier.

Tomorrow I will wash all beds and bed linens. Then I should be ready for him.

Jane

Guest azlorenz

Good to hear that Joe is doing so well. I hope he has a noneventful recovery at home and is able to start his chemo as scheduled. :grouphug for both Joe and Mom.

Glad he's improving! I was thinking about him last night and I had the same thought-- I had wondered because he wasn't non-weight bearing prior to his amp would it take him longer to figure out how to tripod. I'm sure he'll get it down pat before you know it.

I would be cleaning like crazy too-- I'm I crazy paranoid person too!! Hugs to Mr Joe-- he's been so brave.