Metronidazole (Flagyl)

Dylan has had a bout of on and off diarreha for the past week. One stool fine, next pudding..Our vet checked for parasites today and nothing. He got some of Daisy's raw and he just cannot eat a raw diet. He put him on Metronidazole for 10 days. My concern is Dylan has had seizure disorder in the past (hasn't had a seizure in 2 years now) and had a bad stroke a little over a year. I'm concerned about the safety with Metro as it has warnings for neurological problems he said. Any thoughts...

Metronidazole is very safe and is a wonder drug for diarrhea. I've never seen in my 6 years of being a vet tech any problems with giving a grey Metronidazole or a dog with neurological problems have a reaction to Metro.

Dylan has had a bout of on and off diarreha for the past week. One stool fine, next pudding..Our vet checked for parasites today and nothing. He got some of Daisy's raw and he just cannot eat a raw diet. He put him on Metronidazole for 10 days. My concern is Dylan has had seizure disorder in the past (hasn't had a seizure in 2 years now) and had a bad stroke a little over a year. I'm concerned about the safety with Metro as it has warnings for neurological problems he said. Any thoughts...

What did the vet say???

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes it definitely can have neurological effects & these can also be irreversible. My experience was with a dog who already had a neuropathy & the metronidazole caused him to go down almost completely in the rear. He did not recover completely from it. However, that same neuropathy was effecting his intestinal tract & contributed to SIBO causing severe bloating. The metronidazole knocked it back thus dramatically limiting his bloating. So in the end he came out of the event far better overall. The other two dogs I know of both had myelopathy before starting treatment. They were on it for much longer. In all cases the dogs were on rather high doses.

And yet for each of these there are 10's of 1000's of dogs who have been helped greatly without these side effects. This drug, for all its possible nasty side effects has a very good overall safety history in dogs. So it is that even after what happened to a prior dog, I gave this drug to my own Greyhound when she had repeat episodes of severe colitis. She had no problems with it at all.

Only you can decide what is best in this case. You may want to make sure his liver enzymes are OK before treatment. That isn't normally done before prescribing but in your case it might be a good idea. The most important thing is to watch for possible side effects. Stop treatment & contact your vet immediately if you see anything suspicious. The big problems seem to happen when people continue treatment after seeing side effects.

And I will repeat. It is a drug commonly prescribed with good & safe results. Problems other than stomach or appetite probs are rare.

What did the vet say???

hhhh

He's the one who prescribed it but cautioned me about the neurological effects it can have...

My vet will prescribe Metronidazole for a while, but if a dog (like my Sam) has frequent recourse to it because of parasites, soft poop, or other issues, my vet changes over to Tylan (Tylosin) powder, which doesn't carry the same neurological risks. My vet doesn't hesitate to prescribe Metronidazole when he needs to, but he hesitates to re-prescribe it (or re-re-prescribe it) on the grounds that each round increases the risks. He said flat out that he doesn't want to give it to 10-year-old Sam any more.

Tylan tastes awful, I've heard, but you can put it into capsules. For Sam, I just poured the powder into a slice of cheese, folded the cheese shut, then stuffed it down Sam's throat.

P.S. Sam's only seizure history is a bad reaction to Ketamine during a dental. But that was enough to raise flags with my vet.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)