Sore Paws

Guest vampthing

Guest vampthing

Hi, this week I've noticed that my grey boys pads are not grey anymore but pink or white. He was licking at one paw so much that it bled, but when I cleaned between the pads all was well.

Anyway advice welcome as I don't know whether his paws were hurt by hot pavements, chemical burns, or what. I'd be grateful for an opinion on the state of his paws as per the photo, but also for general advice of what might have caused this and how to help my dog from here on.

Here's the pic: http://gorge.org/images/misc/2010/sorepaw.jpg

Normally his pads are grey like the big one in that photo, not pink or white like the photo.

Cheers everyone,

Flash

--

Flash Bristow - http://flashsays.com

Guest scfilby

Some questions.. Are they sore? Is your hound having trouble walking on them? Where would he be exposed to chemicals strong enough to cause burns? Are there any other symptoms such as watery eyes, itchy ears?

They don't look red and swollen, but pink is usually the color of pads that are healing after a wound. Could be hot pavement, could be allergies. Mickey hurt multiple pads on a daring daylight escape last year running full out on the hot pavement. They healed like this, but it was only a matter of days until they turned back to the proper color. Her pads were injured to the point of being torn nearly off though, so it was very obvious.

i have observed the same changes on all of my greyhounds pads. they were not exposed to anything and did not have any trouble walking- no irritation, no licking- just blotchy pink pads, which returned to the usual black. go, know....if it ain't broke, don't fix it(left it alone).

hope this helps.