Quick Q About Mixing Meds

It just occured to me that I'm now feeding Roscoe chicken and rice because of his stomach flu... but I forgot he may be allergic to chicken. Duh. Poor boy has itchy itchy eyes! His eyes are the only thing that seem to be affected by the chicken. I've already made up a big batch of chicken and rice for the next couple of days, and he needs to eat this bland diet..

ok ok, the question. Can I give him benadryl? He is currently on Pepcid, Flagyl (500 mg twice daily) and Carafate (every 8 hrs). He's also on a low dose of thyro-tabs.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

I would if he were mine. I've given Gee Benadryl with her thyroid meds along with pepcid and had no problems at all.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mcsheltie

If you think he has an allergy or is developing an allergy to chicken do not feed this to him. He may need a bland diet, but he doesn't need THAT bland diet. That defeats the purpose of trying to calm his stomach down. Every time he ingests it he will be having an immune response. Benadryl or not. Each time his intestines will be a little more inflamed. Reactions to food start in the gut even if they manifest as itchy ears, eyes or feet. If you had a peanut allergy and accidentally bought a candy bar with peanuts would you take a Benadryl and eat it anyway? I would freeze the chicken and find another dog to eat it so it didn't go to waste. Give it to a friend. A bland diet of ground beef will be better for Rosco's recovery.

As far as mixing the meds you listed, that is not a problem. But don't feed him something he may be allergic to.

Edited by mcsheltie

If you think he has an allergy or is developing an allergy to chicken do not feed this to him. He may need a bland diet, but he doesn't need THAT bland diet. That defeats the purpose of trying to calm his stomach down. Every time he ingests it he will be having an immune response. Benadryl or not. Each time his intestines will be a little more inflamed. Reactions to food start in the gut even if they manifest as itchy ears, eyes or feet. If you had a peanut allergy and accidentally bought a candy bar with peanuts would you take a Benadryl and eat it anyway? I would freeze the chicken and find another dog to eat it so it didn't go to waste. Give it to a friend. A bland diet of ground beef will be better for Rosco's recovery.

As far as mixing the meds you listed, that is not a problem. But don't feed him something he may be allergic to.

This is true. I'll have to get some ground beef. I'm sure Sage will be more than happy to eat the chicken. Thanks everyone.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars