Need Advice On Sleeping Through The Night!

Guest Smiley

Dynamite was the most extreme foster i've had. He woke me up at 6am the first day. 5 am the next. He skipped 4 and went straight to 3. Then something clicked and he slept through the night after that.

With Zuni, who wasn't particularly bad at night, I let her out of the crate at night after 6 or 8 weeks. She spent the first night upstairs on a pile of dirty clothes next my bed. The next night she was back downstairs sleeping on a bed by her crate. Go figure.

Guest scfilby

On a side note as to training them to all be quiet when I get home before I let them out, personally one of the highlights of my work day is to walk in the door and get "mugged" by my pups - but that is me -

Me too. :)

Jenn

Best part of my day!!

On a side note as to training them to all be quiet when I get home before I let them out, personally one of the highlights of my work day is to walk in the door and get "mugged" by my pups - but that is me -

Me too. smile.gif

Jenn

Best part of my day!!

nod.gifsmile.gif

One thing that I have not seen mentioned is the reminder that Oliver has never been alone, ever, so sleeping downstairs by himself is totally brand new. He wants to be with you guys. Crate downstairs, dog bed upstairs. Hugs to Oliver wub.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Try stashing a couple of cookies in a zip-loc bag out of reach in your bedroom. (In a bedside table would be good.) Oliver gets one cookie when he comes upstairs with you.

But if he gets whiny in the night, you can try to give him another bit of a cookie. This will help if he's getting a slightly upset stomach from being "empty" in the night. If the rule becomes "cookie = lie down and sleep" in the bedroom, you can buy yourself some more sleep time if you have a cookie handy.

My guys get the last half-cup of their kibble right at bedtime, and they've been known to let me sleep 11 hours. Woohoo!

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)