Need Advice On Sleeping Through The Night!

Guest Smiley

Guest Smiley

This feels weird to be posting this as we've had no issues like this is soooo long, but I think we could use some advice. We've had Oliver now for nearly two weeks and he's a doll, but is just not sleeping through the night. Because he's still learning the steps, he sleeps in his crate downstairs while we sleep in our bed upstairs. The first few nights we slept downstairs on the air mattress with him and then began sleeping upstairs. We leave the t.v. on, have a DAP diffuser as well as a soft nightlight. He did pretty well the first few nights on his own, but while he'll settle down right away at about 10:00 p.m. when we put him in his crate, by 2:00 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. he'll begin to whine. Initially we would get up, take him out to potty, then put him back in, but we realized he would still whine. This leads me to believe this is much more about separation anxiety. I tried letting him just whine it out to see if he would settle last night, but he was going strong until 4:30 when Pete finally got up and got ready for work. I'm not entirely sure what the next best move is. I know that we are exhausted and can't go on much longer without a full night's sleep. But because he is still anxious and timid, I'm not sure forcing him up the steps at night is best. He can do the steps, but seems to do it best when he can do it on his terms without a leash, etc. We just never had this issue much with Smiley or Peanut, so I'm a little stumped. Plus, S&P were never timid or afraid of much. Any suggestions? This will get easier, right? When you get sleep deprived, it's hard to remember that it will improve :lol .

Guest scfilby

I would definitely move him into your room. Crate with door open maybe?? Leash him for the walk up the stairs if you need to and reward with a treat. Our still mostly sleep in our room although they have the run of the house. At least they start out there and move about through the night.

Guest TahoeMom

My two-year-old was also waking up fretful at 4:30 every morning. He cried until he realized I was not coming downstairs. Then he climbed the stairs to whine and bark at me. By the time he's in my room, he's panting hard and visibly anxious. It's some kind of night terror or disorientation. We've only had him a few months. My solution is to get up and give him a hard-boiled egg (or something else interesting). Then he lets me go back to sleep for 2 hours. Is it the ideal situation? No, but I am getting 6-8 hours now. I'm hoping he'll start sleeping more when he gets out of the puppy stage and/or settles in.

Guest leash

Trust me it will get better. :colgate Magnum did the same thing when we moved his cage from one room to another. He would whine at 1:00am then 3:00am and then again at 6:00am. I was going crazy with little sleep as your right now. I did not think it would ever end.It took him three weeks to adjust. If you can I would move him up to your room. It will probable only take a couple of weeks for him to get used to the routine of going up the stairs for bed but will sleep much better knowing you are right there. Our bed room is too small or Magnum would be in ours. I also make sure that he gets a good long walk before we go to bed and it seems to help.

I know he's timid but I honestly think he needs to get up the stairs into your room. Jack was very shy and fearful. I didn't know any better at the time and REALLY needed my sleep so I just took him in hand and forced the issue. He was a happy camper from then on in.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest TBSFlame

I have always allowed a new dog to sleep in the room with me and have never had a problem. He doesn't want to sleep away from his family.

Guest Smiley

I do remember that when we got Smiley we gave up about a week in and let him sleep in our bedroom and it was smooth sailing. But that was in a house without stairs. My guess is that Oliver would do better with us b/c when I come down at 6:00 a.m. when Pete leaves for work, he crashes like the dead and sleeps away (and yes, I am jealous). And thanks for the hopeful words that it will get better-I definitely need to hear that today! :colgate He also does get a looonnnggg walk before bed with the intent of wearing him out.

Guest mcsheltie

Our dogs eat in their crates and the basement is set up for the dogs. So everyone who comes in here is doing the stairs right away. It is part of life here. I don't put a leash on them. I don't make a big deal out of it. I hold them by their collars, pull their head to my leg so they can't do anything kamikaze and up and down we go. I don't baby them or try to convince them to like it. Matter of fact-ly we just do it. After a couple days they are running up and down on their own.

With that said, if he isn't having SA issues to the point of hurting himself, you have to decide if you want him to accept his crate. If so, you need to wait out the whining. You may have to shut your door and get ear plugs until he does :P If that isn't important to you I would just "take" him upstairs with you at night. Whether he spends the night in his crate at bedside or loose in your room depends on if he is trust worthy yet. I hate waking up to a chewed piece of furniture.

Also to be considered is do you want him crated when you leave. If so, he needs to accept the crate. The more he is allowed to be with you non-stop the more SA may develop.

Guest Smiley

The crate is important because we do need to leave him to go to work. That's not an option during the day. BUT-it is an option at night that he can sleep with us. I just want to make sure we make the right decisions from the get go so that we don't increase his SA, but make sure he can in fact be by himself when need be. I do have a webcam on him during the day and he will have episodes of whining and barking, but he eventually settles down.

He might also be getting a little hungry. You might try giving him a light snack - large milkbone, 1/4 or 1/2 cup of kibble - and see if that helps him.

I would definitely try and have him in the room with you. The short term anxiety about doing the stairs is better than the long term whining. Also, he'll become accustomed to them soon enough if he has to do them - use the leash, and *SUPER* yummy treats (whatever his most favorite thing is - the smellier the better). One of you above with the leash and one below him urging him on. You may need to move his legs one at a time and support him under his butt. Treat and praise like a maniac! Eventually he'll get the hang of it, especially if he knows he gets to be with you at the top.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest NJgrey

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would move him upstairs with you. I really don't think it'll make a difference to him when it comes to both of you being gone during the day. Our girl does OK during the day when no one is home, but if we tried to crate/ gate her downstairs while we're both upstairs she'll cry and whine. When they know you're in the house it's a different story. Like, I know you're there, why can't I get to you?!?

As he settles in, who knows, he may decide he'd rather sleep someplace other than your room, but for now let the guy in.

Yep, take him upstairs with you. All of mine have been inclined to fuss if they're crated and we're elsewhere in the house. They wanna see what we're doing! ..... I'd just steel yourself to help him up the stairs one foot at a time, much praise and many treats, at bedtime, and carefully down again in the morning. Might be a bit scary for him the first few times but he'll get over that and will enjoy being with you at night. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

The crate is important because we do need to leave him to go to work. That's not an option during the day. BUT-it is an option at night that he can sleep with us. I just want to make sure we make the right decisions from the get go so that we don't increase his SA, but make sure he can in fact be by himself when need be. I do have a webcam on him during the day and he will have episodes of whining and barking, but he eventually settles down.

Here is how I handle this. Everyone I can trust sleeps with us. But I crate my dogs in the beginning at night until they accept it as part of life. And I crate everyone when I am not here. Most do carry on for a while. I give them no attention (no negative reinforcement either) until they are quiet. When I come home I do not go immediately and let them out. Everyone has to be quiet before I do. If I am not going out that day the dogs get a nap in their crates each afternoon. It helps them learn they have to be quiet in their crates and that it is okay for me to be in the house and not in the same room. Periodically I will put dogs that usually sleep with us in their crates at night. I want them to be well balanced mentally and able to deal with whatever life throws at us.

I think I'd take him upstairs, put a dog bed by the bed and baby gate the stairs so he can't fall down them or put a baby gate across your door at night so he can't wander and get some sleep.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest TahoeMom

In the middle of the night, it's really hard to wait for a dog to quiet down before rewarding him, especially if you live in a condo or have neighbors nearby. So if a dog is doing something unpleasant at night, like whining and barking, you have to do something to make them stop. I can tell you that in my experience, if a dog has night terrors or SA, you're pretty much stuck with it. My dog can go up and down stairs to find me. Then he barks, if I continue to sleep. What then?

Edited by TahoeMom

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I would bring him up and shut the bedroom door (I could never sleep with my door open, but maybe I am weird :lol ) and I have not had a dog that didn't sleep in my room/bed with me. I would also get another hound, as that would probably help a lot... but not sure if that's an option.

sounds like he wants to be near you. if you don't have allergies, give it a shot in your bedroom. try a dog bed in the corner or next to your bed. felix was a royal pain when it came to sleeping the night alone. finally after walking around like a zombie i asked the owner of his littermate how she was doing. "oh, just fine, sadie sleeps until 8 am"(and that was at 12 weeks.....the secret...............in bed! so, we kept felix in bed for a while. then the crate next to the bed. we tried a leash and dog bed, he ate the leashes. eventually the crate was moved to the living room and now a bed in the living room. but we have a gate in the hall way so he doesn't come back to bed- 80lbs is just too much weight on top of me. he makes sure he sleep on you.

what do you have to loose? nothing, maybe you'll sleep the night. i would put a kiddie gate up at the door to the bedroom since i hate closed doors(clostrophobic i guess)

oh, i let the noisy fosters sleep in a crate in the bedroom, anything for a good night's sleep.

Edited by cleptogrey

I would bring him up and shut the bedroom door (I could never sleep with my door open, but maybe I am weird :lol ) and I have not had a dog that didn't sleep in my room/bed with me. I would also get another hound, as that would probably help a lot... but not sure if that's an option.

I appear to have the strange dog who does not want to sleep by me. :blink: Lila is very new (will be here a week tomorrow) but since day one she has been obviously uncomfortable sleeping in my bedroom with the door closed. If I open the door she runs out and can't be dragged back in. I was making her tough it out, she would eventually settle, but last night she had enough! Getting up every 1/2 hour and panting in my face then whining at 2:30. I took her out and she had a lovely time sniffing the night air, but no potty. When we came in I moved her bad back to the kitchen where she spends most of the day and she was content there. I guess that is where she will stay....

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest Smiley

We always had Smiley & Peanut upstairs with us and it was great. Oliver has much more anxiety and separation issues than either S or P, so I want to help him through that while making sure he can be comfortable being alone too. I do think we'll bring him upstairs with us . . . Not sure if we'll crate up there to begin with, or just use the bed that's up there. He's getting better on the stairs and I've been going up to the bedroom to just lay down so that he'll come up and get used to the bedroom. He gets very frantic in new environments, so I want to start getting him comfortable up there.

I HAD to force George to learn stairs, as I lived in a third floor condo. When the fire alarm went off (every time there was a storm!) the elevators shut down, and the noise was so painful, we had to leave the building.

It took a while (3 flights of black metal stairs, in an enclosed stairwell!), but it really is a pretty important skill!

If he'll go on a leash, do that, and give him loads of treats when he gets to the top!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest PhillyPups

I would bring him upstairs, put a babygate across the door and bet you all sleep through the night!!

On a side note as to training them to all be quiet when I get home before I let them out, personally one of the highlights of my work day is to walk in the door and get "mugged" by my pups - but that is me - we talk and dance and Gremmie does laps while Moe snuggles against me - I love that time of day. :P

Good luck Beth - Oliver probably just wants to be with you.

I agree I would bring him up stairs with you. I would let him sleep on the bed and I would baby gate the steps. It is a new environment and he wants to be with you. Then you will all be happy and be able to sleep. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

On a side note as to training them to all be quiet when I get home before I let them out, personally one of the highlights of my work day is to walk in the door and get "mugged" by my pups - but that is me -

Me too. :)

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg