Has Anyone Tried Purina Chef Michaels Canine Creations?

Guest GoingRogue

Guest GoingRogue

We are feeding Pro Plan but the only store in our area that carries it is a little far for us and after seeing Chef Michaels it looks very tasty. I'm not real good at remembering which ingredients are bad and need to be avoided but I did compare ingredients and they are about the same. Chef Michaels has soy, that's really the only difference. The cost is about the same also. We have a local store that carries Chef Michaels so we are thinking about trying it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks guys

None of my dogs were impressed with it. The young dogs ate it, but older dogs, Donner (greyhound) along with JD and Rocky (ShihTzus) didn't eat or or don't care for it.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest hlpnhounds

I was given several bags as a donation....couldn't get any of my greyhound friends to take it when offered and I haven't tried it with this crew either. Sure does look tasty on the bag though :P

Guest greyhound9797

I found the ingredients for the filet mignon flavor. The first 4 ingredients are the most important and this food just doesn't cut it. Sure, meat is the first ingredient but soybeans are strictly filler. Very little nutrition and the added "colors" are simply for your benefit, not your dogs'. Pro Plan Chicken and Rice Formula has similar ingredients with chicken, rice, poultry by product meal and corn on the top 4

Beef, soybean meal, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers rice, soy protein concentrate, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, glycerin, poultry by-product meal, ground wheat, animal digest, salt, pearled barley, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, natural filet mignon flavor, dried potatoes, dried green beans, added color (Red 40, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6 and other color), sulfur, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), biotin, sodium selenite. B-5900

Sandra in FL

I have all my dog food delivered. www.petfooddirect.com

The prices are good, so adding the shipping you come out paying abouto the same--so distance need not be a factor in getting your favorite food.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I found the ingredients for the filet mignon flavor. The first 4 ingredients are the most important and this food just doesn't cut it. Sure, meat is the first ingredient but soybeans are strictly filler. Very little nutrition and the added "colors" are simply for your benefit, not your dogs'. Pro Plan Chicken and Rice Formula has similar ingredients with chicken, rice, poultry by product meal and corn on the top 4

Beef, soybean meal, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), brewers rice, soy protein concentrate, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, glycerin, poultry by-product meal, ground wheat, animal digest, salt, pearled barley, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, natural filet mignon flavor, dried potatoes, dried green beans, added color (Red 40, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6 and other color), sulfur, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), biotin, sodium selenite. B-5900

Sandra in FL

In addition, I never like seeing "animal fat" or "poultry by-product." Stating "animal" is too vague: could be beef, could be chicken, could be road-kill. AND, it can vary significantly from batch to batch. Who knows what your pet is getting?

And any by-products should be avoided. Again, who knows what your pet is getting?

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest mcsheltie

I have no experience with this. And would NEVER feed this. There are few ingredients I would choose to feed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beef - if this were beef meal it would indicate a good protein source. But as beef it contains 70% moisture. Once cooked this is not a significant source of protein.

soybean meal, soy flour, soy protein concentrate - soy is a low biological value source of protein for a dog. It is a cheap source of protein, needed because there is no meat in this food. This is also an example of ingredient splitting. They list the soy as three ingredients, so that allows them to be able to put beef as the main ingredient. If you combine the soy in this food, the beef would fall way below it.

animal fat - you never want to see vague sources of meat or fat. They should be able to name the kind of fat or meat in their food. i.e. chicken fat, beef fat.

brewers rice - is milled fragments of rice. It is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice thus reducing the quality.

corn gluten meal - not something I want to see in my dog's food. Gluten intolerance is on the top of the allergen list.

poultry by-product meal - would rather not see this. It is cheap low quality protein. Not high in nutritional value.

filet mignon flavor - really? As opposed to beef flavoring?

added color (Red 40, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6 and other color) - DO NOT want to see this in any food.

Quite a few of the supplements are low quality cheap forms, their bioavailability is in question. For instance their calcium supplement.

menadione sodium bisulfite complex - BAD! You never want to see this in a dog food. People have been fighting for years to get this taken off the market - link

Guest Paige12

I have no experience with this. And would NEVER feed this. There are few ingredients I would choose to feed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beef - if this were beef meal it would indicate a good protein source. But as beef it contains 70% moisture. Once cooked this is not a significant source of protein.

soybean meal, soy flour, soy protein concentrate - soy is a low biological value source of protein for a dog. It is a cheap source of protein, needed because there is no meat in this food. This is also an example of ingredient splitting. They list the soy as three ingredients, so that allows them to be able to put beef as the main ingredient. If you combine the soy in this food, the beef would fall way below it.

animal fat - you never want to see vague sources of meat or fat. They should be able to name the kind of fat or meat in their food. i.e. chicken fat, beef fat.

brewers rice - is milled fragments of rice. It is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice thus reducing the quality.

corn gluten meal - not something I want to see in my dog's food. Gluten intolerance is on the top of the allergen list.

poultry by-product meal - would rather not see this. It is cheap low quality protein. Not high in nutritional value.

filet mignon flavor - really? As opposed to beef flavoring?

added color (Red 40, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6 and other color) - DO NOT want to see this in any food.

Quite a few of the supplements are low quality cheap forms, their bioavailability is in question. For instance their calcium supplement.

menadione sodium bisulfite complex - BAD! You never want to see this in a dog food. People have been fighting for years to get this taken off the market - link

Yay!!! I couldn't have said it better!! Not to mention the corn is a dead give away... just a very cheap filler. Recomended reading for anyone with an interest, Ann Martin's "Food Pets Die For"