Surgery Is Over & I'm Ready To Adopt!

Guest Dana

Hi Everybody,

I litterly just walked in the door a half hour ago. My surgery went well. Results are in a week. I'm not in any pain yet. And I am doped up and full of questions! We are going Saturday to get them both. My son is SO excited and hubby too as we miss John horribly.

I need advice from you folks who have more than one Grey. We have decided to adopt two. I was curious about how you feed? I have two elevated food/water bowls. Should I make one for each one or should I make one solely for food and another for water? Is it easy to walk them both together? John always slept in our room with us, what is the concensus for sleeping? I want to have everything ready for them and am really looking forward to it. I thought about John all day today and miss him terribly.

I know this isn't the correct forum to post this but I'll take any advice that I can get. Thanks so much! ~~Dana

Oh, they are both boys Claude Monet (beautiful black and white) and BBA Monster aka Moe (big gorgeous fawn) I'll send pictures of all (including the Grey love of my life John) when I can figure this thing out.

Glad the surgery went well. I can tell that you are so excited to get your new boys!! Don't worry too much about the feeding arrangements--it will work out. I always have multiple greys--wouldn't have it any ohter way. Can't wait for the pics!

Guest Energy11

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT NEWS ALL AROUND!!!

THE DAY after Bold Energy went to The Bridge, we adopted my Curfew... then, came the others.

I have had seven at once, ... now five. Two will work WONDERFULLY together!

Congratulations on everything! colgate.gif

Guest ChasesMum

Hi Everybody,

I litterly just walked in the door a half hour ago. My surgery went well. Results are in a week. I'm not in any pain yet. And I am doped up and full of questions! We are going Saturday to get them both. My son is SO excited and hubby too as we miss John horribly.

just curious how old is your son?

I need advice from you folks who have more than one Grey. We have decided to adopt two. I was curious about how you feed? I have two elevated food/water bowls. Should I make one for each one or should I make one solely for food and another for water? Is it easy to walk them both together? John always slept in our room with us, what is the concensus for sleeping? I want to have everything ready for them and am really looking forward to it. I thought about John all day today and miss him terribly.

we had one large bowl for water, and 2 smaller bowls for food (we did not free feed) for sleeping we had one on the floor at the end of the bed, and one on my side of the bed. Walking 2 together is fine, they are used to being walked in packs on leashes, never a problem for us.

I know this isn't the correct forum to post this but I'll take any advice that I can get. Thanks so much! ~~Dana

Oh, they are both boys Claude Monet (beautiful black and white) and BBA Monster aka Moe (big gorgeous fawn) I'll send pictures of all (including the Grey love of my life John) when I can figure this thing out.

i had to post pics in facebook then link to here (see osteo thread for my links)

I'm so sorry for your loss, but happy you are opening your heart and home to two new boys.

I've seen pics of them-they are gorgeous. Our girl Sherri came from this group and we couldn't have gotten a better

match. Good luck and I hope your recovery is uneventful.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest scfilby

You are going to have to do some figuring out, because how things progress is somewhat based on your pups personalities. Because yours are both boys, you may have different dynamics then we have.

We have a boy and a girl, and an old boy beagle. The girl and the beagle have been here for a long time, and came to us at almost the same time. The boy grey came home a year ago. There was a tiny bit of snarkyness between the two greys at first but a few simple corrections taught them both to share, and they get along perfectly now. The girl (Mickey) and the beagle are fed from the same bowl, the boy (Cy) has his own. Mostly because three heads can't fit, and Cy is a spook who won't go deep into the kitchen. He has his own feeder just inside the scary kitchen.

We walk them together. They have various place for sleeping, and they all share. They are allowed to sleep with us if they want, and sometimes one or both or neither will. There is a crate in our room along with a loveseat. There is another loveseat and sofa in the livingroom. They seem to rotate. The beagle can not get on the human furniture (too old and too short).

Greys do better in pairs, so they should adjust quickly. If they are not already living together, you should muzzle when they are alone to be safe. We crated for awhile until Cy made it clear he was retired and did not want to be locked in any more. The open crate is one of his favorite sleeping places though.

Just be prepared for some snarky space issues at first. In this house the Snarker looses the spot. They learn quick its better to hold the tongue and share the spot then to loose it.

Guest Flysmom

I am so glad that you are doing well after your surgery!!!

Both Cisco and Poncho drink out of the same bowl. I feed them in 2 different areas in the kitchen, Cisco eats really fast and wants to eat Poncho's food, while Poncho eats rather slow and will growl at Cisco.

They walk just fine and I have no problems with them. They figured out by themselves who walks right next to me and who walks next to the other.

We have 2 pillows for them in our bedroom and they pick on which pillow they want to sleep. Both of the boys are not allowed in our bed since my husband would probably move out... :lol Cisco actually never should the desire to jump up there and Poncho goes with the flow...

Can't wait for pictures!!

YAY you will adore having two. John will be thrilled that he led you to this. After a short adjustment, two will be as easy as one.

I have a couple of water dishes around the house unrelated to food dishes just because. They share. And then obviously two separate food dishes. I used to feed in separate rooms because Jill was pushy. But she is very good now and doesn't visit Josh's bowl till he is done so they both eat in the kitchen. You will need to assess the situation when they arrive.

Mine both sleep in the bedroom with me, one on each side of the bed. if I have a guest dog, that one sleeps at the end of the bed.

They generally walk easily together. Sometimes though, it's just a matter of sorting themselves out.

Congratulations. It will be wonderful. John would be proud!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Glad your surgery went well. As far as bringing home two new hounds. Separate food bowls and separate them when they eat. You will soon learn if either one of them has any food issues as far as aggression. Hounds are used to sharing water bowls though so no need for two of those right off the bat. Sleeping, separate their beds. Since you don't know if either one will have space issues or sleep aggression until you get them home. Like others have said, be prepared for some snarky moments. It will take them time to adjust and if you have any problems, we're all here!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PiagetsMom

I can't add anything that Judy ^^^ didn't add above - she pretty well covered it!

Glad your surgery went well and you're home and on the road to recovery! Congratulations on your new boys and I look forward to seeing pics of them smile.gif

Guest greymama002

So glad your surgery went well, and that you have 2 new heart healers coming soon! It is great to have a pair! When we got Ruffie, he was just off the track & timid, so we had separate rooms for feeding, and we also had 2 water bowls, but only 1 really got used. He also had some space issues, so we had beds in different areas of the bedroom. Pulsar is very mellow & laid back, so there weren't any scuffles, except in the car, so we would muzzle both for car trips. Walking the 2 went very well. The most important things I taught them right away were "Wait", so they wouldn't rush down the stairs before I was ready or when stopping to pick up one's poo, and while walking, "Leave it", since there are so many things that one or the other will "discover" on a walk. Pulsar usually walks right by my side, and Ruffie out in front. We get in a rhythm and it goes pretty well. Best wishes to you!

I am very Happy to hear your surgery went well.... :colgate I agree separate food bowls. I have a stand an elder man made me and it is really neat I have room for 3 separate bowls and it it elevated, but when we adopted Pongo we just bought a separate elevated food stand, now they all are separated even though they stand side by side. I walk all 4 of my dogs together at the same time. Two in each hand. Good Luck and we can't wait to see the pictures!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Glad everything went well for you! I adopted litter sisters and then 2-1/2 years later took in an 8 year old bounce. I have raised, double feeders/waterers for each. One of the sisters has a little food aggressions, so this arrangement works out fine. Everyone inhales their food, so they are all pretty busy and no one wanders around once the bowls are set in the feeders.

There are 4 Victoria Peak beds in our living room - Simon the newest kitty usually claims one - so there is lots of musical beds going on. They are walked in our sub together 4 times a day and take at least one potty break in our yard ONE AT A TIME. Since Anna is 10 years old now but very, very "enthusiastic" in everything that she does, there is just too much chance for injury if all 3 are let out at one time. Plus with the hot, hot weather, letting them out one at a time keeps the zoomies at a minimum.

Good luck! You're going to have so much fun! Congratulations!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Glad your surgery went well. As far as bringing home two new hounds. Separate food bowls and separate them when they eat. You will soon learn if either one of them has any food issues as far as aggression. Hounds are used to sharing water bowls though so no need for two of those right off the bat. Sleeping, separate their beds. Since you don't know if either one will have space issues or sleep aggression until you get them home. Like others have said, be prepared for some snarky moments. It will take them time to adjust and if you have any problems, we're all here!

Hope for a speedy recovery and congratulations on your two new babies. Advice? I've got three. Different personalities all the way around. Judy said it best!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest DoofBert

Congrats on the surgery and best wishes for speedy recovery.

We feed at scheduled times in separate bowls. The hounds (5) all have their bowls in the kitchen area.

They drink from common water bowls. I supervise fedding time so we don't have hounds sticking noses into other hounds' bowls.

Two is really not a big deal.

Dana,

First off, I know John is happy that you are saving the lives of TWO of his kind. In my experience, once they figure out the dynamics of their little pack, two are definitely easier than one.

I have had anywhere from 3 to 9 dogs in the past two years (including fosters, greyhound sitting dogs, etc.

They all do great drinking from the same water bowls, they don't consider water a coveted resource. They all have separate food bowls and I do not free feed. I want to know if anyone is not eating much and Shelby will eat until she explodes. Unless they have proven that they are not at all food aggressive to all of the other dogs, I feed them in separate areas, at least 6 feet apart, and monitor feeding time to head off any issues.

If I am not there to supervise, they wear muzzles or are in a crate until they prove that they do not have space or sleep aggression. They wear muzzles when I am asleep or if they go outside (off leash in my fenced yard) together.

I would do these things until you get to know them. Once they prove they have none of these issues then you shouldn't need to muzzle any more. The only exceptions might be when they are both outside together off leash or if you give them a highly prized long lasting treat. High value items (like a small furry critter or a bully stick) can cause a squabble -- with their thin skin I just don't take the chance.

My Twister and Shelby have worked it all out. If Shelby wants any of Twister's prized possessions, she just takes it and Twister lets her. So they don't squabble over anything. Shelby won't let any other dog near her food and both Joe and Twister respect that. However Joe and Shelby will have a spat over a high value long lasting treat (bully sticks, rawhide, etc.) So they are separated whenever they get one. If they don't finish it in one sitting, the treat gets picked up an put away before I let them near each other.

They typically sleep when I am gone and do not need to be muzzled (I do not leave food or high value treats where they can get them). None of mine have any sleep or space aggression so this is possible.

I do muzzle mine when they go out together, mostly because they are poop eaters and the muzzle with stool guard prevents this. All my dogs have a high prey drive so it is a good idea anyway so they don't squabble over a catch. And the squirrels and bunnies thank me.

Please don't worry about adopting two. They will work things out for themselves and it will become clear who rules the roost. Just keep them safe while they are figuring it out.

I am glad your surgery went well. Enjoy your two new pups. I hope they will help heal your heart and help fill the void left when John went to the bridge.

Jane

Guest TBSFlame

I have always said having 2 is easier than 1. I always feed a new hound in his/her crate. Memmie and Jeremy still eat in their crates.

Hi Dana, I'll see you on Saturday. I'm fostering Moe. (Bba Monster)

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy!!!! Cannot wait!!! We are looking so forward to meeting all of you. ~~Dana

Guest mountain4greys

Moe has been the greatest foster! He's always happy and no problems.

Moe laying with our brood mom.

Moe2andRachel.jpg

Moe outside.

Moeoutside2.jpg

Moe with Skyy. Elvis is laying on the floor.

SkyyandMoeJuly10.jpg

I am so glad that you are doing well after your surgery!!!

Both Cisco and Poncho drink out of the same bowl. I feed them in 2 different areas in the kitchen, Cisco eats really fast and wants to eat Poncho's food, while Poncho eats rather slow and will growl at Cisco.

They walk just fine and I have no problems with them. They figured out by themselves who walks right next to me and who walks next to the other.

We have 2 pillows for them in our bedroom and they pick on which pillow they want to sleep. Both of the boys are not allowed in our bed since my husband would probably move out... lol.gif Cisco actually never should the desire to jump up there and Poncho goes with the flow...

Can't wait for pictures!!

Ditto on the feeding. JJ eats very fast - and will muscle in on Dustin's food. I feed them both in elevated bowls in separate rooms - and when JJ finishes, I hang with him so he doesn't go steal food on Dustin (who is thin already...). I do have two or three water bowls around the house (each boy has one with his food bowl), but have had it where I have one big water bowl and that works fine as long as there is enough. I like a second one around the house, but more in the event that the first one tips, etc. I don't want them thirsty. Best of luck with the two.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Moe has been the greatest foster! He's always happy and no problems.

Moe laying with our brood mom.

Moe2andRachel.jpg

Moe outside.

Moeoutside2.jpg

Moe with Skyy. Elvis is laying on the floor.

SkyyandMoeJuly10.jpg

Awww, thanks for the pictures, we all can't wait to meet him. My 16 year old son feel in love with his picture. If you have any advice about him please don't hesitate to share it. Thanks again for the pix, that was so thoughtful!! ~~Dana

Very glad to hear you are doing well, and I'm envious of your desire to have two! I have only one and reallllllly want another, but it'd be too much for me, being single and all and living in a condo. Financially, not sure if I can swing it either. Maybe next summer... ANYWAY, hope the transition goes smooth! Don't think anyone added this, but they are BOTH new to your house and routine, so I think you'll have a completely different experience than most just bringing home one at a time.

Good luck and congrats! Hearing your surgery went well and two more pups getting a lifetime of love and cozy beds made my day! :)