Bengal Roach Spray

I sprayed Bengal yesterday on my back porch..it is a dry spray, but did not let grey walk on it for several hours. He has to walk about 3 feet on the porch to get to the back yard. Today he is not drinking hardly anything and of course not going to the bathroom...mostly just lays around in his bed..Is he sick from the spray? He ate normal this morning and played around in the house for 30 minutes..cannot let him play outside as it is 110-115F heat index. Thanks (PS Bengal is much stronger than Raid spray)

You might want to call your vet and see what they say. I've never sprayed anything like that around my hounds so I don't know what kind of a reaction to expect.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am a chemist and I am fanatical about not exposing my greys to ANY unnecessary chemicals(includes pharmaceuticals) especially pesticides and herbicides. Greys are particularly susceptible and have been known to die from flea collars even. IMO they should never be allowed any where near any poison of any kind much less walk over it- they can lick it off their paws and some can go through their skin as well. Sounds like a bad sign to me not urinating/drinking-sounds like kidney problem-and poisons act on the kidneys. I would have him at a knowledgeable vet ASAP- and good luck finding a competent grey savy vet. Sure hope he gets better.

I called the vet. Could not get past the receptionist. She said to call the number on the back of the can. I called the number and was forwarded to a voice mail. I have not heard back. I called the adoption kennel and was told to give him gatorade/water and put a good bit of water in his kibble. If he does not get better by tomorrow, that him to vet. I may wind up at e-vet tonight, but do not know if they are greyhound savy.

Guest BooBooMama

I called the vet. Could not get past the receptionist. She said to call the number on the back of the can. I called the number and was forwarded to a voice mail. I have not heard back. I called the adoption kennel and was told to give him gatorade/water and put a good bit of water in his kibble. If he does not get better by tomorrow, that him to vet. I may wind up at e-vet tonight, but do not know if they are greyhound savy.

IMHO go to the e-vet now. I know they are expensive but do not take a chance with poison.

Guest Energy11

We use NOTHING but Safer Brand products, because once, DH sprayed Raid Wasp Killer, and two of mine were sick for a few days! I'd also go to the Evet. Something isn't right, and dogs can absorb things through their feet. Good Luck!

Guest sheila

I think I would be finding a different vet. When I call and want to speak to my vet I understand he may be busy at the moment, but if I leave a message I know I will be getting a return call within the hour. Luckily for me my vet is also my e-vet as well and is willing to (and has) come out at any hr of the day/night to see my hounds. He didn't start out as 'grey savvy' but he's always willing to listen/learn/research. My theory about grey savvy vets is : If you don't have one, teach one.

I was afraid you would have trouble finding a vet. That's the way it is here too. All you get to talk to are technicians who think they know it all. People who have access to a vet who will actually tallk to them on the phone and care don't realize how lucky they are. One vet here pretends to be somebody else when she answers the phone at her own clinic. How is he doing today? Does he feel better?

Guest Greytluv

I was afraid you would have trouble finding a vet. That's the way it is here too. All you get to talk to are technicians who think they know it all. People who have access to a vet who will actually tallk to them on the phone and care don't realize how lucky they are. One vet here pretends to be somebody else when she answers the phone at her own clinic. How is he doing today? Does he feel better?

eek.gif That's hard to believe. I have my vet's home and cell number.

Is he feeling better?

Edited by Greytluv

Is he feeling better?

Count your blessings because there's not many like that! Sure hope the houndie is OK today.

I guess I just pushed the panic button. He is doing fine today. He ate and drank just fine today. We walked with no problems and now he is asleep. But, I will throw the Bengal in the trash and NEVER use it again. Also, think I will drop the vet a note in the snail mail about not getting past her hired help yesterday. Thanks everyone for the information and for asking about him.

Is he feeling better?

Vets in my area generally have a recording for after hours telling you where the "closest" emergency clinic is; in my town, it's at least 30 minutes away.

I left my dog's urine at my vet on Saturday. It's Thursday. I don't have the results yet. :angry: Oh, and they charged me $55 for a urinalysis. Not a culture, a urinalysis.

The concept of after hours contact numbers doesn't exist around here.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest MyBoys

I guess I just pushed the panic button. He is doing fine today. He ate and drank just fine today. We walked with no problems and now he is asleep. But, I will throw the Bengal in the trash and NEVER use it again. Also, think I will drop the vet a note in the snail mail about not getting past her hired help yesterday. Thanks everyone for the information and for asking about him.

If you need to spray for bugs there are many new GREEN products out there you could try, good luck and so glad to hear your boy is doing okay.

Guest sheila

Vets in my area generally have a recording for after hours telling you where the "closest" emergency clinic is; in my town, it's at least 30 minutes away.

I left my dog's urine at my vet on Saturday. It's Thursday. I don't have the results yet. :angry: Oh, and they charged me $55 for a urinalysis. Not a culture, a urinalysis.

The concept of after hours contact numbers doesn't exist around here.

Wow! The recording for after hours at my vet gives a pager number to call and when I have used it I have always gotten a call back within minutes. My vet has come out at 1 AM, 7 PM and even on a Sunday. Once he came in wearing a suit because he was getting ready to attend a graduation ceremony when I called with a hound needing stitches. Getting a urinalysis was something like $15 and he came into the lobby and did it while I watched.

I love my vet and the fact that he was not grey savvy when I started with him doesn't matter one iota because he gets more grey savvy all the time. My hounds are the only greys he's ever treated.

If you need to spray for bugs there are many new GREEN products out there you could try, good luck and so glad to hear your boy is doing okay.

You should write that note to the vet IMO. It IS dangerous to be stuck with a tech who thinks they know everything. One day I tried to call my vet because Goldie came in with a sudden sore bump on his leg. Of course the vet doesn't take calls and I was stuck with a dumb tech who said 'oh he probably just bumped it- give him some aspirin.' I took him to an emergency clinic and guess what? The e-vet there immediately recognized SNAKE BITE! Needless to say the usual worthless reccommendation given by a tech could have resulted in the dog's death. But then they wouldn't have cared anyway since it wasn't their dog.

Edited by racindog

Guest simile

There are a few pet poison control centers listed on the net, and the ASPCA has one here. They also have a hotline number you can call (there may be a charge).

• 2 years later...