Antibiotics Question

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

Eric started a course of Cephalexin on Sunday, since he had another red rocket incident followed by a yellow, not clear discharge. Vet prescribed Cephalexin as a first course of action. Eric's stool this morning was green and not the kind of green from eating grass, it was kind of bright. Oh and I should mention that it is unlikely that it is related to any food dyes, since he is fed raw.

Can Cephalexin cause green stools?

I know certain antibiotics can do that to humans. Not sure about dogs though.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greytbookert

It is kind of strange...he's been on it before and didn't have green poo. There is also very little chance of him ingesting any types of poisons in the past few days, we don't use them and he hasn't left the property and they are never out alone.

Maybe, I'll call the vet, just to be on the safe side.

Guest greytbookert

I've used it plenty before too and never had that happen. I'm stumped.

Without any other symptoms, vet said to keep an eye on him and see what the next output looks like.

Guest BooBooMama

Antibiotics can turn the stool green but only after a prolonged use. IMHO it is not the antibiotics themselves. I looked up what can cause green stool and this is what I found:

Biological reasons for green waste include:

Bacterial overgrowth

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (Ibs)

Infectious diarrhea

Food poisoning

Malabsorption

Celiac disease

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

Ulcerative Colitis

Crohns disease

Colon cancer

If your dog suddenly has green stool, its best to consult a qualified vet

Edited by BooBooMama

Guest greytbookert

Antibiotics can turn the stool green but only after a prolonged use. IMHO it is not the antibiotics themselves. I looked up what can cause green stool and this is what I found:

Biological reasons for green waste include:

•Bacterial overgrowth

•Irritable Bowel Syndrome (Ibs)

•Infectious diarrhea

•Food poisoning

•Malabsorption

•Celiac disease

•Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

•Ulcerative Colitis

•Crohn’s disease

•Colon cancer

If your dog suddenly has green stool, it’s best to consult a qualified vet

I found all this stuff too and kind of freaked out (big surprise, I know :lol ) I'm anxiously awaiting the next time he poops to see its color.

I've seen lots of strange stools over the years but this particular color green was new to me. I've seen the grassy green poops, other people's dogs who have had greenies, even a purple poo from someone's dog who had eaten a crayon.

Guest kydie

green poop can also be a sign of bile passing though the intestines,,, if the dog, or human has had a lot of fecal matter passing quickly though thr intestines,,, there is nothing left but bile,, the over active paristalis of the intestines continues to move whatever is available through

Edited by kydie

Guest Energy11

I've used that a lot in a lot of dogs-never seen any poo discoloration.

Same here, too. Never any discolored stools, maybe loose, but not discolored.

Guest greytmiles

Miles was recently on 500mg of clavamox 2x/day for 10 days, and his poop was noticeably greenish as well. I'm not talking St. Patty's Day parade or anything, but I did make a mental note that I'd noticed a color change. It went back to normal a few days after the cycle of antibiotics.

weeeeird.

Sid was on Antirobe a month or so back and it wiped out his gut flora completely. His stools went through a range of colours ending up bloody and full of mucus and he ended up screaming as he passed them. He's now on prescription ID diet, and probiotic capsules while I try to get him very gradually back onto his normal diet. I am fairly angry about it actually, because it seemed like far too heavy an antibiotic to use for a tiny extraction (a broken incisor, for heaven's sake) which was not infected, and in a clean mouth. But be that as it may, we're now dealing with the fall-out.

If you have any reason to suspect it's the antibiotic, my advice would be to get him onto probiotics now. Don't wait. And no use anyone suggesting yoghurt, it simply isn't enough in this kind of case. You can buy probiotics online, and they're cheap enough. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop