Won't Eat Much In The Morning, But Will In Evening

Guest Celestrina

Guest Celestrina

We've only had our girl for a week (3yr old, apx. 63 pounds). For the past few days she hasn't eaten much in the morning but will finish her second feeding. Do you have any recommendations?

It may be the heat, or she may just prefer eating at night. I'd increase the evening feeding and keep an eye on her weight - as long as she isn't getting too skinny it should work out just fine.

Guest greyhoundis

Two of my girls do this all the time - Queenie Wahini and Ashley sometimes won't even bother to get out of bed for breakfast. I still give them the option - but of course then I have to watch the other 5 so they don't eat what the girlie girls won't.

Guest greybookends

I used to feed twice a day. Bill refused to eat in the morning thus "Breakfast with Bill" was born. I realized he ate just fine for the most part at night so I started to feed just once a day. Now we have "Dinner with Bill". He is still finicky and I still have to get creative sometimes but for the most part he eats at night.

If she has an appetite and just wants to eat a small breakfast, but what you're feeding her in the morning in half and add the rest that you would normally feed to her evening meal.

Bebe wants breakfast, just not a lot so I feed her a small portion in the morning and a large portion at night so she's getting the same amount of food so her weight doesn't drop.

Something to remember, in the racing kennels, dogs are normally fed once a day.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest shanesmom

Elton doesn't always eat his morning meal either. He used but stopped quite a while ago. He's certainly not thin so I don't worry about it. I still offer it to him just less since I know he won't eat as much in the morning as he does at dinner if he eats it all. He eats much better in the evening.

I have nothing really new to add other than that one of our hounds is usually, "Meh. Breakfast. Meh." So we feed her the remainder in the evening. The only issue is keeping the boy dogs away from shoving her out of the way.

Bob

Just to offer another possibility... Have you had her wormed recently? Sometimes a symptom of hookworms is a lack of morning appetite.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest lasharp1209

Our does this too, I am thinking the heat has a lot to do with it. He isn't getting as much exercise due to the heat, so it balances out okay. Sometimes he will eat in the morning, so I like to continue to offer it if he wants it. If he doesn't eat it, it goes in the fridge and gets mixed with an additional cup for dinner. We'll see if he stays this way or decides to eat more when it gets cooler.

I also have noticed that when he doesn't go on a walk in the morning, he loses the "routine" of everything, and tends not to eat. If we go on a walk, he eats when he comes in and seems like he does better at eating then.

Just to offer another possibility... Have you had her wormed recently? Sometimes a symptom of hookworms is a lack of morning appetite.

:nod This. Fritz has hookworms really bad right now. He sometimes won't eat at all in the morning, but usually eats at night. This morning he ate about half of his breakfast.

Hookworms are REALLY hard to get rid of - might be worth doing another course of worming with her (or at least taking a poo sample in to be checked).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

the once a day option sounds like a good fit. you can always give her a couple of large dog biskets in the morning or when you leave the house. lots of dogs are not "chow hounds" and it's better to get one good meal in when they are really hungry.

Guest cruzNhounds

Something to remember, in the racing kennels, dogs are normally fed once a day.

Do you know when they feed?

My girls don't like to eat before 11 am, they are blunch and dinner eaters. Works fine for us cause I work swing and DH is home by dinner time.

Edited by cruzNhounds

I feed twice a day. Mine don't alert me in the morning that they are hungry. I put the food down and sometimes they eat, sometimes they don't. However, come dinner time, around 5 p.m., they alert me they are hungry and can be very persistent, particularly Snowy. The dinner food is given and quickly disappears.

Don't worry about it. If they're hungry, they'll eat! :)

Edited by RWM