Why Do They Sleep So Much?

Guest Duke

Seriously, is there a reason why they sleep so much? I understand this is what most dogs do, I understand that they are not as active as other breeds but is there a genetic reason why they sleep so much?

Seriously, is there a reason why they sleep so much? I understand this is what most dogs do, I understand that they are not as active as other breeds but is there a genetic reason why they sleep so much?

Guest Flysmom

I honestly don't know, but our 6 month old pug is sleeping as much as the boys do.

All I can tell you that I wish I could sleep as much as they do. :lol

Because they can.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Because they can.

Hey, that was my answer when I saw the name of the thread.lol.gif

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest auforygirl

In the books they said that they were breed to be docile in their crates. They have amazingly low thyroid levels. As you may know thyroid levels in humans are related to weight and energy level.

Guest Hoolyghans

In the books they said that they were breed to be docile in their crates. They have amazingly low thyroid levels. As you may know thyroid levels in humans are related to weight and energy level.

Yeah but my low thyroid doesn't give me their figure!!! :lol

Guest Pat2003

Conservation of calories. Hounds are hunting dogs and you don't always catch prey when you hunt. And of course, they can:lol.

Guest Energy11

THE HEAT here! mad.gif

Mine are very active, actually, almost too active, in the cold weather. They have to be walked everyday. With THIS HEAT, all they CAN do is sleep! mad.gif

In the books they said that they were breed to be docile in their crates.

Wow, I thought I had read a lot of greyhound books but I have never read that factoid or heard of breeding for that trait. Interesting concept.

Poodle has always slept as much or more than greys of the same age.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

When people ask me why they sleep so much -

I always tell them that the reason that Greyhounds are so fast is that they spend so much time recharging their batteries .... lol.gif They are always fully charged and ready to go this way.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I attribute their excessive resting with nature. If you look at the way their biology is set up with the larger heart, larger lungs, larger spleen, etc. and put that together with a hinged spine what other predator on this planet is similar? The cheeta. In nature, predators that are built for explosive speed cannot carry extra body fat (the body's way of storing energy) since they rely upon speed for their meals. So, if you cannot store any extra energy in the form of body fat, you do not have reserve energy, therefor you must hunt for your food, and by doing this you require a good hunt/success rate of catching prey. Therefor, you cannot waste energy. The cheeta is another animal that sleeps many hours a day, so does the lion. Greyhounds are set up structurally the same way.

Chad

I'll buy this answer!

I still think if I could bottle and sell whatever it is that makes greyhounds so lean and skinny ~ i'd be rich AND all homeless animals would have homes and starving people wouldn't be hungry ever again! and so many other things.. :rolleyes:

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Conservation of calories. Hounds are hunting dogs and you don't always catch prey when you hunt. And of course, they can:lol.

I attribute their excessive resting with nature. If you look at the way their biology is set up with the larger heart, larger lungs, larger spleen, etc. and put that together with a hinged spine what other predator on this planet is similar? The cheeta. In nature, predators that are built for explosive speed cannot carry extra body fat (the body's way of storing energy) since they rely upon speed for their meals. So, if you cannot store any extra energy in the form of body fat, you do not have reserve energy, therefor you must hunt for your food, and by doing this you require a good hunt/success rate of catching prey. Therefor, you cannot waste energy. The cheeta is another animal that sleeps many hours a day, so does the lion. Greyhounds are set up structurally the same way.

Chad

Yep, what they said. I always use the cheetah analogy when I tell people why they sleep so much. :nod

No kidding - neither does mine! I wish it would. :lol

Seriously, I doubt this is the reason. If it were, they wouldn't be so fast when they ran, and (more to the point) they wouldn't stay so slim on so much food. These dogs are evolved with low-end-of-normal thyroid levels, just as they are evolved with high PCV and large hearts. Sounds like that particular greyhound author was just guessing out loud. JMHO

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest longdoglady

Just what I was thinking, low thyroid and they still have a waistline to die for......jealous? me?!?!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

All sighthounds are typically like that. They're so much more pleasant housepets than most breeds. :wub:

They do not have a lot of extra energy reserves or body fat. They are not endurance animals, but rather sprinters.

Guest amandagal

I think the person with the cheetah comparison is correct. The reason they are so fast/slim is because they have a lot fast-twitch muscle fibers, which burn more calories than fat or even slow-twitch muscle (same for us...that's why everyone always says Kenyans are so fast and slim, many people from that area have excess fast-twitch muscle). Most predatory wild animals are very "lazy." Look at big cats and even wolves. When food is not scarce, wild wolves can sleep upwards of 12 hours a day.

In the books they said that they were breed to be docile in their crates.

Wow, I thought I had read a lot of greyhound books but I have never read that factoid or heard of breeding for that trait. Interesting concept.

Poodle has always slept as much or more than greys of the same age.

When I read that I thought, "Huh!"

Given that Greyhounds have been around for what, 2,000 years, I suspect this is a bit of misinformation. I'm not suggesting the poster of this didn't read it; I'm suggesting it's just not accurate. Modern racing Greyhounds are bred for speed.

I think "amazingly low thyroid" is also inaccurate. Their thyroid levels are relatively low compared to other breeds; but that is normal for them and not a sign of "low thyroid."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck