Can Antibiotics Affect The Results Of A Fecal Exam?

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

Three weeks ago Deeni finished her third round of Panacur for her hookworm infestation, so this week I would like to run a fecal exam. (I realize that I might get a false negative but I plan to do three fecal tests- each three weeks apart to ensure a reliable reading.) I want to do it this week not only because it is 3 weeks after the last treatment (following the life cycle of the worms) but also this is the week her monthly Interceptor dose is due so I want to take a sample before I administer it. That being said, she is currently finishing up her last week of Clindamycin for her gingivitis. Can the Clindamycin affect the results of her fecal exam in any way?

Guest Energy11

I don't think the antibiotics will effect the fecal, but I could be wrong. Best to call the vet and ask him/her or the tech, to be sure.

Good Luck! NO MORE WORMS, right? :-)

I don't think the antibiotics will effect the fecal, but I could be wrong. Best to call the vet and ask him/her or the tech, to be sure.

Good Luck! NO MORE WORMS, right? :-)

Guest BooBooMama

Antibiotics won't affect the fecal. Your timing & reasons for doing it now are good ones. Hope it comes back neg!

Thanks Julie. All the postings about hookworm staying in their systems in a cyst state making them impossible to totally eradicate and invading their lungs etc. has me freaked!I sure hope she is on the road to being clean and clear.

• 1 month later...
Guest BooBooMama

Bump

UPDATE: We beat hookworm!!!!!

Deeni was on three sessions of Panacur (May, June and July.) Then I tested her every month. She just had her last check- no symptoms and the third negative in a row!!! YEAH!!!!!

After reading all of the horror stories about dogs that have not been able to rid their systems and having hook in the lungs I was so worried. It was a long haul but we got them!