Belly Bands As Training Aid

Guest sbennett

Guest sbennett

Noticed that several people on another thread about marking behavior have suggested using a belly band as a short term training aid. How does that work. My two recently adopted (2+ wks ago fellas have been wearing them whenever in the house for the past week, following a jolly round of marking the furniture.

They have kept the bands dry at all times, so I wonder how long they will need to wear them indoors and what other type of training is required. I lavishly praise them and give a small treat each and every time they do any of their business in the yard.

Any suggestions to share?

Thanks,

Sharon B.

Guest sheila

do understand that marking is different then peeing. Marking is just that, a little squirt here and there to claim territory. Peeing is just relieving themselves. Even a dog that has just been out and peed like a racehorse can still come in and 'mark' his territory.

I have used belly bands for marking behavior only when I am not able to be physically present to stop marking when I see it. The belly band is more to save my belongings than anything else here. When I was home I would keep the dog very close to me and watch for the leg hike and correct it immediately with a loud 'EH!' to stop it and a firm scolding.

Guest freightsmom

I added two foster boys to my house, both were housebroken but geez was there a marking war between my male and the two newbies. As Sheila stated, the best way to change the marking behavior is to catch them in the act however that was not always possible so belly bands really helped out. The favorite marking spot was a leg on my kitchen table...nice pick guys! After the belly bands were put on, it was funny to see one of them lift a leg then turn around to proudly sniff their work only to be met with nothing.

It took a solid two weeks of belly bands to get them to call a truce on the marking war but we have not had one incident since. I was probably overly cautious since we had just moved into a newly built house with new furnishings...LOL. Long live the belly band!