Only In The Morning

Guest sweethomerio

Guest sweethomerio

This is my first post and I'm looking for some advice. We brought home Rio, a 3 year old male, 2 weeks ago. He is very sweet and behaves very well. He is tentative, but I think in most aspects it is a successful transition for Rio. We also have Max, a german shorthair that we raised from a pup. They get along, however I do see some passive agressive behavoir (such as dog bed wars, marking outside wars..normal dog posturing stuff). I would say the Rio is alpha out of the two. Some jealousy, but no agression on either dogs part.

On a about day 3 Rio began peeing/marking inside the house, this only happens in the morning (that I can tell anyway). Since the first event I decided I would take him out in the morning before doing anything else. He is relucant to go outside in the morning and will try to go back in via the dog door. To make sure he does his business I now use the leash (he likes his leash). I live in the country and have a dog door that Rio uses during the day to come and go. He's not in love w/the dog door but can navigate thru' it. He uses it on his own, but prefers to follow Max to see what he is up to.

Today I took him outside, he urinated like a good boy, I brought him inside and fed both the boys breakfast. Right after he finished eating he went over and peed/marked a piece of furniture. I stopped him mid-stream took him outside but he would not "do his thing". Brought him inside and within minutes he marked in a different spot.

I am sooo confused as this only happens in the morning. Both my husand and I work, currently my step-daughter is visiting so Rio has had someone home w/him (except for a few hour absences) since the first day. She is leaving in a week and I'm worried that the morning behavior may become the all day behavior.

I thought about crating him, but don't crate Max and see this action as extreme. I can't imagine Rio being very happy in a crate and Max being free to roam all day. Beside it would be around 8 hrs+ since we both work. Not really an option in my mind.

P.S. I love the forum and have picked up all kinds of advice, not to mention a few laughs. :)

Sounds to me like he's marking--which is very different from just peeing.

You might want to try a belly band for a while and see if that helps. You also have to find EVERY place he's pee'd, and get it clean with some sort of pee remover.

Also, if you have not already had him to the vet for a full check up (every new dog should be taken to the vet), it's worth doing, and taking in some urine just in case he may have a UTI.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

While you are at work and since your step-daughter is visiting, would she be willing to keep Rio tied to her during the day? That way she could catch him just as he lifts that leg and correct him.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would second the belly band- even Petsmart sells them nowadays (hopefully you have one near you, so you can resolve the issue quickly)! The only problem would be with the dog door- wouldn't want him to go outside wearing the belly band.

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Today I took him outside, he urinated like a good boy, I brought him inside and fed both the boys breakfast. Right after he finished eating he went over and peed/marked a piece of furniture. I stopped him mid-stream took him outside but he would not "do his thing". Brought him inside and within minutes he marked in a different spot.

Keep him attached to you by leash while he's eating, then straight outside when he's through. If he absolutely will not go again, keep him attached to you by leash and try again in 15 minutes. You know he has the urge to mark at that time, and with a little perseverance I think you can teach him to do it outside instead of in. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I second Batmom and Macoduck's advice. You have a golden opportunity with your daughter visiting, if she is willing to help. Just like you have been doing, reinforce the good behavior and don't let any accidents go unnoticed.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest scfilby

Welcome to Greytalk..

The easiest way is to catch him in the act and give a firm NO or AHHAHH with a loud hand clap. Cy wanted to mark when he first came home. We followed him around until we could catch him in the act. Two corrections is all it took.

Guest sweethomerio

Thank you all for your insight and advice. I have never used a belly belt before, I will try this out. My work is close to Petco, so looks like a trip on Monday.

I really like the idea of leashing him and keeping him w/me first thing in the morning with the intent of "correcting" the unfavorable behavior as soon as it happens.

I already had an appointment set up for him next week, with that said, I don't think it is a medical situation as it is only in the morning it happens, but I will feel better once the doc looks him over.

Thanks again everyone

Kathy, Mike, Rio and Max :rolleyes: