Astro's Foot's Hurt! :(

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

This is really strange. Astro was licking his foot non stop last night and I checked and I saw the weirdest thing, to me anyway...

His webbing is cut, the skin layer's completely cut in two places but the odd thing is... it's on TOP, not under like it would usually happen if he stepped on something.

I really don't gt it.

And it's not pretty.... And he won't let me touch it.

Any ideas what it is? What I should do?

Guest Energy11

**From the Mt. Hounds first aid presentation. Hope it helps.

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

This is really strange. Astro was licking his foot non stop last night and I checked and I saw the weirdest thing, to me anyway...

His webbing is cut, the skin layer's completely cut in two places but the odd thing is... it's on TOP, not under like it would usually happen if he stepped on something.

I really don't gt it.

And it's not pretty.... And he won't let me touch it.

Any ideas what it is? What I should do?

He likely did it running, their gait totally allows for cuts on the top of the foot or even the webbing. We would just flush it well with colloidal silver, and then spray it anytime he came in from outside. If he's fussing with it, putting a sock on will help (wrap with vet wrap just above the hock, then fold the top of the sock back down) but try not to bandage it, if the air is allowed to get at it it will close up much more quickly.

Scritches to Astro, sounds like it hurts. If you use homeopathics at all, some hypercerium will likely help with that particular pain.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)