Suppressed Appetite?

Has anyone ever heard of glucosamine or chondroitin or msm supplements causing a suppressed appetite? I was talking to someone yesterday who said that it had suppressed her greyhound's appetite, and that she had tried it herself and felt the same thing. Robin has never had appetite problems in the 6 years we've had him--quite the opposite. However, we've noticed random times where he won't finish his breakfast. He just leaves either a few bites, to as much as half, in the bowl, and goes to take his after breakfast nap. He eats fine otherwise--it doesn't carry to dinner or anything, which is good. And it's infrequent. I can't be sure if this has totally coincided with the arthritis diagnosis and the beginning of the supplements, but that discussion got me wondering....

Robin has been on the Get Up and Go supplements since the beginning of May, and it's possible that it could be related. Though I can't be sure it didn't start earlier, really.

So has anyone heard of the supplements suppressing appetite? Just wondering....

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest krystolla

No personal experience but I've seen a few mentions online of nausea as a side effect of glucosamine, I'm guessing that might be what is suppressing appetite. They suggested a lower dose if this happens. :dunno

If it's only occasional appetite problems I'd wonder if it's more hot weather related, since I'd expect the glucosamine to have the same effect every time.

Guest Energy11

Mine don't get any ill effects from their glucoamine and other joint supplements. BUT, this HEAT does play a factor in their, and our eating.

Who wants to eat with it is 99 degrees outside, and the heat indexes over 100?

It just might be this unrealistic heat, causing the lack of appetite. Might want to check with the vet, to be on the safe side, though. Good Luck!

Thanks. It could even be something totally weird, like he prefers the meals with supplements in them (he only gets them for dinner). Who knows. He's not in danger of wasting away right now, that's for sure. :rolleyes: He's a healthy boy.

Maybe I'll start writing it down, to see if there's a pattern or anything. It's probably just something minor, like the heat, or with just getting a little older, I guess. He's 8 1/2, and he doesn't do happy dances for his meals anymore, either. :colgate

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).