Raw/irritated Paws

Guest LRay82

Guest LRay82

Both hind paws are looking a little raw and irritated - not sure why, but that's beside the point. I'm thinking booties for a few days to protect it, but any suggestions for what to put on it? She's licking them, so I know they're bothering her, and they're definitely a little swollen and red.

2010-07-22_23.39.30.jpg

Thanks!

has she been running at the beach or could she have been stung by an insect?hs she been running really hard and skidding to a stop(usually it's the stop pads that get beat up)? hard to see how swollen they are from the pic. my first instict is to soak in epsom's salts 2-3xs a day. up to 10 min in each soak. that works wonders and the salts dry things out and pull foreign irritants out as well. if it's sand burns, which my male always gets when he runs at the beach, tuff paw was recommended on greytalk. w/ sandburns the webbing gets pretty raw and keeping it dry is necessary. when i didn't have the spray i used medicated powder to keep them dry(my greyhound rep's suggestion). putting a bottie on will keep the paws and pads moist, watch out for fungus. been there...after having the fungus scrapped out (inbetween the pads, on the webbing-not at all comfortable for the pup) i used desitin to keep the areas dry for two weeks and they were back to normal. i always talk to my vet when i am concerned, a quick phone call. in my book the paws really don't look bad, try to figure out if there is an irritant that she was in contact w/.epsom's salts are cheap and always good to have on hand.

http://www.tuffoot.com/index.htm

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest LRay82

Epsom salts, that sounds like a good idea. Question though... how exactly does one go about soaking a dog's paws? It doesn't sound easy. It actually sounds difficult and messy! Suggestions are much appreciated! My sister is a surgical nurse, she was thinking liquid stiches to create basically a protective layer. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, she's been running. She tears up and down the yard. She occasionally walks (no running) on the beach, but she hasn't done that in at least two weeks. So that is a logical explanation... it's just that she's ALWAYS torn up and down the yard, so why now (she's been with me a year) would her pads suddenly get irritated??

i boil water in the microwave- 3 minutes, add the epsom's salts and then let it cool. i think it's 1/4c salts to 16 oz water. i make more than enough and have it sitting and waiting. you can make a concentrate and dilute w/ cold water so it's room temp.

put a towel down on the floor, have some bread or other treats...graham crackers and let the pup nibble the treat while the paw is in the bowl of epsom's salts. sit down next to your hound, feed and hold the collar. most likely your dog will step out of the bowl.it really helps heal the pads.

If you can't get your pup to stand and soak, just soak a wash cloth and apply it and continue to do it.

Bag Balm is an great idea also

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Since her exercise routine hasn't changed, I'd consider the possibility of seasonal allergies. My mixed breed started licking her feet this week, so I guess the season is starting. <_< Her feet get itchy, which causes her to lick them, and then leads to irritation. Just something to keep in mind if it continues.

Since her exercise routine hasn't changed, I'd consider the possibility of seasonal allergies. My mixed breed started licking her feet this week, so I guess the season is starting. <_< Her feet get itchy, which causes her to lick them, and then leads to irritation. Just something to keep in mind if it continues.

This was my first thought. Benadryl helps when my dogs have had grass allergies. That, and I walk them more on asphalt (if it's not too hot) and on pine straw rather than grass.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Benedryl if you think it's allergies, soak in epsom salt if you think it's an injury. If you just think they're a little dry/cracked, slather the pads with bag balm and put baby socks on. I do this every Sunday with Pinky when we're sitting at home. I bought the velcro strips that are made for organizing computer cords (available at office supply stores) and use those to secure the baby socks at the top of the foot :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I looked at her feet and thought allergies right away. Try some Benadryl and see if the redness doesn't subside.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

allergies or fungus. both of mine have had black cruddy fungus on their feet, but it was inbetween the webbing. at one point, when it first started i noticed licking and it was red. with in 2 days it changed and there were some blotches of black/brown, sorta like the stuff behind the large pad. remember athletic's foot really itches. i always try the soak first, but it looked really inflamed very quickly, who would think athletic's foot on a dog?

i ended up checking your posting after my pup was running like a madman- as usual. he skinned his front leg right above the ankle, yikes!!!! looked pretty nasty and i was ready to take him to the vet this morning. but i irrigated it really well-applied a ton of antibiotic ointment and bandaged it up last night and sent him to bed after some metacam. it's closed! no swelling, but i'll keep it bandaged since it was quite a deep scrape and the ankle is sore. organic gray sea salt from france is one of the better salts to make saline solution, but plain old kosher salt- which is pure salt works almost as well.