Need A Vet Quick!

Guest LRay82

Guest LRay82

Does anyone have a grey-savvy (obviously) vet in the Portland, ME area?? I need one ASAP. My grey has worn down pads on her rear paws and one is seeping a bit, I think she may news an Rx and we just relocated so we don't have a new vet yet.

I'd love to post a photo but I'm using my phone to post :(

Thank you!!

Is she bleeding badly, or just a bit? If it's just a bit, find a 24 hour pharmacy and get something to clean the wounds and some rolls of sticky wound wrap and some gauze. Clean the wounds, put some gauze over them, then wrap the bandages around her foot and leg. Put her muzzle on so she doesn't take the bandages off and pour yourself a big glass of wine.

Guest kydie

at the top of the greytalk health and medical is a pinned vet list,,, maybe there is one for your area? :) I know your are upset,,, but paws are wonderful things,, they heal quick,, and with a little help from you usually in 24 to 48 hours they are O.K.,, now cuts and deep wounds need help,,,,

Guest LRay82

Thanks :) I did check the vet list and there isn't one listed for the Portland area in ME. I was hoping I might get lucky with the GT community! I appreciate the suggestions. I think I probably initially over-reacted, they look better this morning already. I'm going to try the Epsom salt soak and see what happens. Thanks again! I'll be doing my vet research now... :o

Guest kydie

be careful not to dry they out as they will crack,,,,, i like to clean and apply bag balm,,, I thibnk this is a WONDERFUL product,,, and has been around a LONG time Good Luck hug your pup :)

MerlinsMum is located in Portland, ME and she should know a good vet.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks, Kyle. We've just been emailing back and forth this morning. I'll probably stop by her house with my first-aid kit later today :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest sheila

I'm glad to hear that things are looking better.

The first thing I do whenever I bring a new dog into my home is take them to my vet for a sort of 'well dog' check and give them any medical info that I have (such as shot records and neuter/spay etc). That way my vet already has a file on them if an emergency arises.

I will also add that for most things a greyhound savvy vet is not a requirement. Greys are special, but they are still dogs. Any decent vet can take care of just about 95% of the situations you will come across. My greyhounds were the first (and only) greyhounds my vet has ever seen in his practice and he has taken excellent care of all of them. When he has come across anything that he or I feel needs someone with more experience with greyhounds he will research and/or consult with that person. I would say that my vet is well on his way to becoming greyhound savvy.