Leopold - 28 Mar 2001 - 21 Jul 2010

Guest NQ3X

Never posted to GreyTalk before, though I've lurked from time to time.

I just want to talk about my friend Leopold.

Where can one begin to describe Leo?

Leopold - aka Kiowa Betternmost - came to us on 31 July 2007, underfed and wormy, with the corner missing from one ear, and was only supposed to be with us for a few weeks. But when he woke up from a little nap and whined for a second, then picked up his head and looked at Kass, perked up, got up, and trotted over to her to get some ear scritches, we knew he couldn't leave. He'd wake up disoriented, look around until he saw one of us, then relax ("Oh, good. You're still here.") and go back to sleep.

We just don't know how we're going to know when to get up in the morning, go downstairs, feed the dogs, take them out, or go to bed without our loudmouth boy ordering us around. And who's going to bark at the UPS man after he's gotten into his truck to drive away? Who's going to howl and jump at the door like he has murder in his heart when actually he's the biggest candy-ass around? Who's going to accompany Kass when she naps and make sure that Bob never sleeps for more than 30 minutes? Who's going to curl up next to us and snuggle, but complain if we rest our arms on him?

Our darling Leopold will spend his time under the walnut trees, keeping us safe from The Grey Menace (pesky squirrels, always encroaching). We buried our friend and then we got the pack rooing. It's so hard, though. Leo always used to start the rooing. It just isn't right without his voice. While we were saying goodbye to you under your tree, it rained - suitable for a dapper gent, always in his tuxedo, a touch of rain pattered on the funeral cortege like something out of a Victorian romance novel. Then, after, a rainbow blessed us with its beauty, as though you were sending us a benediction from the Rainbow Bridge.

Here's a poem I wrote today, 24 hours after his passing:

Lo! Leopold looked aloft

Hairy hackles raised high

'Gainst gray gnomes gathering

Watch and ware worked this wight.

Forth he fared, fearing naught,

Daily daring squirrels' dread.

Muttering mayhem, mickle might,

Lithe Leo leaped to defend.

Brave he bounded, brash and bold,

Faring forth to face the foe-man,

Until ended he, hale and hearty,

Singing a song of sturdy swagger.

No foe fought he and failed

Save the sally of cells his own.

Cancer creeping killed this war-dog,

Striking swiftly, sent from Heol.

Rests he now, regarding tree-rats,

Under trees teeming with tails,

Iron-will still minding master.

Lies he watching, Leopold the Loving.

Goodbye, Lu-Lu. We miss you so much. And we thank you for the many blessings you brought into our lives.

Bob, Kass, Melody, Sebastian and Preston (McGann-Davis)

34748_1456127477151_1052260231_31303354_5001865_n.jpg

Every home should be so lucky to have a Leopold. I am sorry for your loss. Godspeed, Leopold.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

What a wonderful tribute to your boy. He was obviously very loved. Godspeed Leopold.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Welcome to GT, I am very Sorry it is under the terms that you just lost your boy. But we are happy you are here and able to express your sorrow because it there is anyone out there that understands it is the GT family. Leopold sounds like he was a very Special boy, your tribute and poem is Beautiful. He was Gorgeous!!!! :grouphug :grouphug

:f_red:gh_run Run Free Leopold :f_red

Please stick around and feel free to express anything you may want to talk about, this is a Great Support Group.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Tenderhearts

Your tribute brought tears to my eyes! :cry1

The poem was magnificent, and obviously written for a magnificent fellow.

Godspeed Leopold. Run free with my bridge kids! :gh_run

How you loved him! And how lucky he was to have found his perfect forever family, even though it wasn't nearly long enough.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Leopold.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

What a wonderful tribute! Leopold came alive! I'm so sorry for your loss flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest how888

Forever in our hearts and leaving pawprints in the sky for all to see.. Just look, listen and feel..He will be there.. My deepest sympathy in your loss of Leopold.. I know he and Nike are up there over that bridge waiting for us to all meet again one day.. So glad you finally posted here on greytalk and know we are here for support.. Keep writing the poems.. That was beautiful.. :f_red:f_red:gh_lay

Leopold was so handsome and your tribute to your much-loved boy is very beautiful.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

:grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France