Doggy Door For Greyhounds?

Guest thedozer

Guest thedozer

We adopted our first greyhound, Mulberry Dozer, a few weeks ago from a local track. He's adjusting well to his retired life in our home and behaving perfectly. Since it's summertime, someone has been at home most of the time and he has only been alone in the house for short periods. But, when school starts, he'll be alone each day for about 8 hours. We're considering a doggy door because he's not too fond of his crate and is content to sleep on his bed while we're gone. We also have a dachshund and a toy fox terrier that use a very small doggy door. I've been shopping around and I'm wondering, what size do I need? Obviously, Dozer cannot use the doggy door my other dogs are using, and I need something tall and thin and don't want anything large enough for a person to crawl through. Dozer is about 70 pounds and stands about 28 inches at the shoulders. Does anyone have any experience with doggy doors and what are you using? I'm looking for a panel doggy door that will fit in the track of my sliding glass door. The one I'm looking at has a 10 inch wide by 15 inch tall flap that will stand 9 inches off the floor. That's as tall as I can find for my sliding glass door and I'm concerned it won't be tall enough.

Thanks so much for any advice!!

The one you are looking at will work fine. We had that in our house in AK. I hated it as it made using the slider to the back yard a PITA, but it worked for the dogs.

But that size a person can crawl through.

I'll see if I can find some pics in use.

Ok, ours was the 10x19 with the 9" rise

Jet is behind the door considering making her way in

med_gallery_786_2880_37691.jpg

And the 3 of them in front of it

med_gallery_786_2880_40083.jpg

I found a pic of T flying through it, but it was dark, so didn't bother with it.

Guest sheila

I have a dog door that is 16"x10" with a 12" rise. My boy is about 70lbs and 29" at the shoulder and this is perfect for him. I think anything under the 12" rise would be too low with this dimension of a door. My smaller gal can still use the door but she takes it a little slower because she has to step up to maneuver it.

As far as security though that is another issue. I am about 5'2" and 100lbs and I could get in through the dog door with no problem if I wanted to. I live in a smaller town with nosy neighbors so security is not such an issue here and I can lock the dog door if I'm gone for a vacation or something.

Keep in mind that dogs that can go out whenever they want unsupervised can also do things while they are unsupervised that you would rather they didn't. Things like digging holes in the yard and eating the daisies. I took care of that by creating a 12'x90' fenced area that is the dog yard.

Guest NeroAmber

Just curious- I like the idea of a doggy door- but I wouldn't want the risk- especially as I live in a city with a fair lot of crime- so what do those of you with the doors do about safety? Are you in a rural area with little risk, or do you have a very secure yard?- Or are the doors themselves securely lockable?

House 4 with dog door. Never worried about security. Never lived somewhere that I locked my door either.

When I lived 30 mins from my parents my mom would often tell me I should lock my door because I never knew what weird people I'd find in my house. I responded "so far, the only weird people coming through my doors when I'm not home are you and dad" :lol

Just curious- I like the idea of a doggy door- but I wouldn't want the risk- especially as I live in a city with a fair lot of crime- so what do those of you with the doors do about safety? Are you in a rural area with little risk, or do you have a very secure yard?- Or are the doors themselves securely lockable?

I live in the city of Dallas proper. In the barrio and I've never had a problem in 8 years other than the neighbors thunderphobic outdoor dogs climbing the fence and coming in during storms.

I am 5'8 and a size 14 and to get through my dog door I'd have to turn sideways and scoot through -- probably while being met by some large dogs trying to get out. :lol I have Gladys Kravitis and her husband that putters in his garage workshop all day every day on one side and a well meaning but crazy stay at home neighbor on the other side. Nothing gets by the three of them. Seriously.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I have a door in my slider that is the size and rise you're considering; 10.5 X 15.5 and a 9 inch rise. Carl who is a big tall boy, 30 at the shoulder and has weighed over 100 lbs has no problem ... he's back to 94 pounds now :D. Gracie 28 at the shoulder and 74 pounds just goes through more quickly.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest GreyRabbit

I've also been considering this, but I live in Buffalo NY, how do these things work in the winter? Afraid I'd be losing a lot of heat through them...

No problems with our door in NY or in AK. Yeah, there will be some heat loss, but get a good door and it shouldn't be too bad.

On 'breezy' days (a breezy day in Kodiak is typically 60+ mph winds), the door would open now and then, but not often. Really nasty windy days, I'd just close the door off.

I LOVE my dog door- I have a Ruff Weather double-flap. I got the largest size available (St. Bernard/Newfie) so that, as the dogs age, they wouldn't have to bend or squeeze too much to get through the hole. It took Lucy and Clifford about 4 weeks to learn how to use it. My newest guy, Jack- well, he is a brave lad and learned it in a week. I've also used it before when I've locked myself out of the house LOL... very convenient. :rolleyes:

GreyRabbit- I live in Syracuse -not as bad weather as Buffalo, but close. :colgate Yes, I do get some heat loss (especially when the wind blows super hard, and swings the flaps open) but not too bad.

Jen

Edited by JenZ

I have a doggy door out the side of the house onto the deck. It's 18 x 24 and only has a 4"rise. We have 4 westies, 3 greys, so needed both to be able to use. The greys have no problem, they just bend a little as they go thru. We live in the boonies and don't worry about intruders, but when we lived in cities - outside Ft. Lauderdale, outside LA, Houston - I still didn't worry. There's not a burglar in the world who could get past my westies! And when the westies bark, the greys come running to make sure they get a treat too. Not too many burglars want to bother with all those dogs and noise going on.

Connie

Guest Gr8hounds

We have the 9" rise.... and a sliding glass dog door... If someone does try to break in, your dogs at least have a chance to still be alive when you get home. Stuff is just stuff and stuff is replaceable... after you have been through a major life changing event you look at things differently.... We had a house fire. If we didn't have a dog door, my cats would be dead and if the dogs were home, they would have been dead. They cats were able to get out the dog door... Luckily I had taken my dogs to the dog park when the fire broke out. After the fire and seeing what it does to the inside of a house, I will never crate them or leave my house without them having some way to get out! I am no burglar, but I would rather rob a house that doesn't have dogs anyway.

We have the 9" rise.... and a sliding glass dog door... If someone does try to break in, your dogs at least have a chance to still be alive when you get home. Stuff is just stuff and stuff is replaceable... after you have been through a major life changing event you look at things differently.... We had a house fire. If we didn't have a dog door, my cats would be dead and if the dogs were home, they would have been dead. They cats were able to get out the dog door... Luckily I had taken my dogs to the dog park when the fire broke out. After the fire and seeing what it does to the inside of a house, I will never crate them or leave my house without them having some way to get out! I am no burglar, but I would rather rob a house that doesn't have dogs anyway.

You know, that is one more thing that I have felt good about having a dog door -- if the house burned down while I was gone I think they'd be smart enough to get the heck out.

It has bothered me as my friend in IL had a toaster that was plugged in but not in use catch fire and his dog died trapped in the house. My toaster is never plugged in unless in use.

His insurance told him plugged in unused toasters start a lot of house fires.....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg