Corns ....contagious Or Not?

I know many folk on here are experienced in dealing with corns and I think seem to see them more than we do over here in the UK, so I'm sure someone will know if corns are in any way contagious? If I bring an old grey girl with a bad corn problem into our fully carpeted home, what is the likelihood of it being transmitted to my own dogs? She has just been returned to kennels and will be seen by the vet and probably treated but I know corns usually seem to return so there is no guarantee she will be cured before being rehomed wherever she ends up. Just wondering if she needs to be an only dog for the sake of other hounds.

Sue from England

Out of all of mine I've had two with corns and none of the other dogs have ever gotten them so I wouldn't think they are contagious. Mine all walk on the same surface and share beds all the time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest eaglflyt

There are several theories on the cause of corns. Among those theories is infection with Bartonella bacteria or Papilloma virus. How contagious this might be is undefined. Is there a genetic component? Is it just a physical anatomy and activity issue? See more HERE. Actually, read the entire thread for lots of good information.

Even though the cause of corns may vary and is unknown, I wouldn't hesitate to take in a dog with corns to foster. One of our friends has 3 greyhounds ... one with corns for years, the other two have none. They've been together several years.

Edited by eaglflyt

Kieran has had corns for several years and sees the vet regularly for hulling. She doesn't have any on her back paws now, but we still have to have the front paws hulled; they do seem to be getting smaller lately though, so the vet and I think we're winning the battle! Otis has never had any at all. They both have lived with us for nearly seven years, so if Otis was going to "catch" them from Kieran, I think he'd have done so by now. :)

Edited by greylyn

I don't know if they're contagious, but they do seem to be regional in some way. I've had dogs for years and been with greyhounds since 2004, and I'd never ever heard of dogs having corns until I came to GT and saw the posts by people in other parts of the country. I've also been involved with our foster program for several years and none of the dogs whelped here in Oregon have ever had corns (that I know of anyway).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Fasave

My corn dog has had them for five years. Neither of my other dogs have them and plenty of greyhounds stay here without incident. I heard the thinking is that corns start of callouses and then turn into corns. I always tell people that my corn dog is "not built right" :lol. His back legs are as straight as 2x4's with hardly a bend. It makes me wonder if this puts pressure of certain toes. I've also wondered if there is any relationship to corns and walking. My guy gets walked all the time on pavement as I live in a city environment. But I don't rule out the theory of viruses either.