Food And Toy Agression To Me.

Anytime I try to take something away from my hound his eyes go "black" and he snaps/growls. It could be a stuffie he is pulling the stuffing out of or a piece of black rubber (he got that on one walk and swallowed it), then he threw up twice that night. I am afraid to put my hand in his mouth, because I really believe he will bite. After it is all over, he seems contrite and will velcro me for about an hour..still, I need some help with this problem.. Thanks again

Guest Wasserbuffel

Trade up, turn it into a game that he always wins. If he's tearing up a stuffy, offer him a tasty treat. Tell him "drop it" when he leaves the toy for the treat and pick it up while he's distracted. Practice a couple times a day trading for items he values but are acceptable for him to have, give them back after he has traded up. (i.e. he has a kong, you trade for a bite of hot dog, then give him back the kong). That way he also won't associate trading with a permanent loss of something he likes and the few times you do have to take something away forever will be non-issues.

Until he is accustomed to having things taken from him without complaint, manage his environment so he can't get into anything you might have to take away.

My Jayne will trade for just about anything now. I can have three bits of kibble in my hand and she'll give up a bone, which is her most highly prized item.

Teaching the "drop it" and "leave it" commands come in very handy in situations like that. The trade up that Jayne suggested is great and to teach the "leave it" command, leash your pups, put something yummy on the floor and when the dog goes for it, you pull the pup back with the leash and say "leave it" and treat the dog with something better. This is the way we taught Jilly Bean in training classes. You practice this a lot and soon all you have to do when you see something you don't want your pup to have is say the command "leave it" and the pup should respond.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Wasserbuffel

I think Jilly accidently added a response to another thread to the end of this one. Another poster is having issues getting her hound to eat in the kitchen again after a scare.

HaHa, I wondered where my response to that thread went, now who is having the senior moment.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jaws4evr

I'd start with some trading games... assemble a bunch of lowish value toys, along with some lowish value treats. Give super low value toy to dog (stick? something nice but pretty boring)... then offer him something slightly better (toy or treat) and say "give" (or your alternate word). when he willingly drops toy A in favor of toy or treat B, give him treat/toy B, lots of praise, but take toy A.

Repeat with various toys/treats over a period of time, making sure to stick with low value until he gets the idea that you taking things from him can be a GOOD thing since it often means he'll get something even better. You can also trade back and forth some equal value toys.

Fetch-games really help with this, as it rewards dog for giving the toy to you, in continuing the fetch game.

Also try to make sure he can't get ahold of anything you don't want him to have, so as not to have to wrestle it from him and destroy the trust relationship you've built. Not that I think you shouldn't be able to take those things from him safely at some point, but probably not yet!

Guest kydie

I know a lot of people do the "trade up" method,, I do not,, if you want a toy he has,, do not reach for it,,, step on it an claim it, and stand quiet on it,, he will move away then pick it up,,,, each has their own ideas, something he is eating, would I reach in their mough to take it out,,, Yep,,, show no fear,,, stop,, your walk,,, slight, slight,, tug on lead,, face dog,,, be quite,,, pray open mouth,, say "drop it" as you search his mouth for what you do not want him to have,,,, Just me,,, I don't do the "trade Up" not my style :)

Guest hshirlow

Use pot lids. When the dog refuses to drop the toy (or whatever it may be), walk away, grab pot lids, and slam them as you yell "drop it!" Scare the dog. I did that twice for our dog and she immediately learned that being mean meant a scary noise. She has never shown us aggression since and the pot lids are tucked back away into the cabinets!

Teaching "drop it!" by way of trading up gives you a huge advantage. That training conditions the dog to regard "drop it!" with cheer and excitement; you don't get the "oh, spit, she caught me with it, now I have to gobble it up before she grabs it." Some dogs, it takes awhile to train but the training is fun for everybody too.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.