Manuka Honey

I have some Manuka Honey here to use for Nedra's pressure sores. I finally had time to test it out today. I cleaned the sores with a little peroxide - I know not to use that constantly, but I hadn't cleaned them since Sunday and I didn't have time to put her in the tub and do water therapy. So, after I let the peroxide foam a bit, I cleaned them again with water and then applied the honey.

Should I be covering the wounds after applying the honey? I thought not, but figured I'd ask. The honey lasted all of about 5 minutes before she set to work licking it off.

Someone suggested to me that EMT gel might be better in this case, given that the sores are all in accessible spots. I don't want to put her in an e-collar if I can avoid it, and I think the Bite-Not collar won't really work for these spots either. I know the water therapy is the best, but I can't do it every day right now. Too much going on between my day job and getting things ready for the auctions for GU.

The wounds are healing. I can see that. The ones on her shoulders just looked a little iffy to me today. The big one on her hip is looking pretty good, and I was looking at the pictures taken of her when we first got her and can see that all of the wounds are healing. I just want to be sure that we don't get any setbacks.

I'm open to suggestions...

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I originally found out about manuka honey from this article (there are some rather graphic pictures in it), but if you scroll down, there's a link to a site with instructions about how to use the honey for wound treatment here. Good luck and please post updates on how Nedra's wounds do using the manuka honey.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Longdog

I would be interested to know how you get on with the honey. I had never thought of using it topically I bought some for my 2 legged son who has exzema hoping this will help to cleanse his blood but he has been eating it rather than using it on the rash - I may ask him to test a few areas and see how he gets on.

Guest greygirls2

I used the manuka honey on Diamond's wounds from the attack after 3 months of using every other thing didn't heal them. The honey started granulation after the first application. You really do need to cover the wound while using the honey or obviously they will lick it off. I swear by this stuff and even my vet now uses and recommends it after seeing the startling results in Diamond. Good luck.....I hope your pup heals us fast.

I would think Manuka honey is ideal for pressure sores, which can be really hard to heal. Yes, you'll need to cover it, or she'll lick it off, and also it's very sticky and will get on your soft furnishings!

You can buy dressings impregnated with Manuka honey, ready to put on with some tape or vet wrap (whatever works best in the place the sores are) but you can also spread it on from the jar and use a plain non-stick dressing to cover. You don't want to make it waterproof, so don't seal it too tightly.

You won't need to use hydrogen peroxide before applying the honey because one of the important antiseptic properties of honey is that it contains quite a significant amount of natural peroxides.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Antiseptic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal - amazing stuff. Here is a linky to dressing a wound (sorry no linky - GT is no longer formatting for me at home or work :() www.manukahoney.com Click on "easy and safe".

Longdog has a good idea - she can probably use the digestive help too so you can put some on her food. You know she already likes it. :)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm just finally able to get back to this thread. Thank you all for your replies. Now, why didn't I think of going to the Manuka honey site to see how to dress wounds? lol.gif

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that since the sores are over the joints themselves, particularly on the shoulders. Tough place to wrap. She'll end up looking like a mummy! If I get some time, I'll experiment with ways that I might be able to bandage, but honestly, I was looking at the sores today and they seem to have shrunk just since yesterday. She's doing really well from what I can see.

Thank you again, though, for being patient enough to answer me!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited