Can Wearing A Muzzle Contribute To Utis?

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Zali was straining to urinate Monday when I was home for lunch. I caught her peeing in the floor and when I went to clean it up nothing was there. She did the same thing a couple of times in the yard to so I took her in to the vet. Which of course she peed right away for them, Anyways they said there wasn't an obvious infection but she did have crystals in her urine and blood. They gave her antibiotics and want to change her food. They wanted her on the c/d but said I could also try Iams ( she normally eats Kirkland). I have noticed the last few days she has been licking a lot and I am now wondering if wearing a muzzle for 9 hours while I am at work could contribute to her problems since she can't really lick while she has it on????????

Edited by zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

I'm not sure if she drinks or not since she only wears it while I'm gone. And with 5 other dogs I can't tell who is drinking or not. I was just thinking that maybe by not being able to lick and keep some of the bacteria away it is making her more susceptible to it entering the urinary tract??????? I guess because they always seem to lick more when they do have a UTI.

I don't think so because I've seen Gee clean herself through her muzzle. I would wonder if she was getting enough water.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest zoolaine

What kind of crystals did they find?? I would try adding canned food to the diet--great way to get more water into them.

She has struvite crystals. I will add in canned food for her - she will love that!