Charlie Is Home (Note: One Graphic Pic)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wub: ABSOLUTELY.INSPIRATIONAL.

I am so glad that he's home and that he's adjusting so quickly. I have no experience with incisions of that nature, so, I will defer to the experts there - if they say it looks good, it looks good!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

So everything went well last night. Charlie slept almost completely through except at one point he got up and of course I shot out of bed like a rocket to make sure he was okay...of course he was. He kind of looked at me like, "what's your problem?". Prior to going out with him this morning, I let Jack, Shelby and Angie out and when Jack ran off the deck down The Charlie Berm, Charlie's eyes lit up and I could see his old competitive self coming back - he was of course inside with me getting the harness on. He went out, did his duty and came straight back in. He ate all his breakfast this morning and then did his old thing of going to everyone else's bowls and licking them clean.

I did have a look at the x-rays yesterday and it is very difficult to tell exactly what is going on there. It is not the classic look of Osteo as there was no starburst pattern and the bone was not 'moth eaten'. There was something there but even OSU said it is difficult to tell for sure and would need a biopsy to be sure (really a fine needle aspirate) however I decided without seeing the x-rays that the chances it was something else was minimal and the surgeon concurred.

Now it's time to heal and then onto the next step in this battle, Chemo. Hopefully Charlie will not be too affected by it.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

God Bless!!! He looks wonderful. Please send him big hugs from RI!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Hoping for a really quick recovery...sending best wishes that he continues to do well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

He looks fantastic! :yay :yay I am so glad he had a good night. Charlie and you have been in my daily thoughts - I'm sending lots more love and good thoughts your way. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

We're all rooting for you Charlie!! :kiss2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

So everything went well last night. Charlie slept almost completely through except at one point he got up and of course I shot out of bed like a rocket to make sure he was okay...of course he was. He kind of looked at me like, "what's your problem?". Prior to going out with him this morning, I let Jack, Shelby and Angie out and when Jack ran off the deck down The Charlie Berm, Charlie's eyes lit up and I could see his old competitive self coming back - he was of course inside with me getting the harness on. He went out, did his duty and came straight back in. He ate all his breakfast this morning and then did his old thing of going to everyone else's bowls and licking them clean.

I did have a look at the x-rays yesterday and it is very difficult to tell exactly what is going on there. It is not the classic look of Osteo as there was no starburst pattern and the bone was not 'moth eaten'. There was something there but even OSU said it is difficult to tell for sure and would need a biopsy to be sure (really a fine needle aspirate) however I decided without seeing the x-rays that the chances it was something else was minimal and the surgeon concurred.

Now it's time to heal and then onto the next step in this battle, Chemo. Hopefully Charlie will not be too affected by it.

Kyle

Kyle (Charlie's dad),

I am so grateful that you included pictures of Charlie to help ease my mind a little and to know what to expect. My big boy grey John goes in Friday morning for amputation of his right hind leg. He was diagnosed with what looks like osteosarcoma in that leg. They said of course they couldn't know with 100% certainty unless they did a biopsy. His leg has really started over the last week to give him pain. I wasn't going to go the amputation route but decided to due to the pain. Your Charlie looks wonderful. Is there any advice you could give me having gone through this so recently. What should I have prepared for his return home? How long did they keep Charlie after the amputation? I would SO appreciate any light you can shed on this for me as I am a nervous wreck but want that painful limb gone. Thank you so very much....Dana (John's mom)

Kyle (Charlie's dad),

I am so grateful that you included pictures of Charlie to help ease my mind a little and to know what to expect. My big boy grey John goes in Friday morning for amputation of his right hind leg. He was diagnosed with what looks like osteosarcoma in that leg. They said of course they couldn't know with 100% certainty unless they did a biopsy. His leg has really started over the last week to give him pain. I wasn't going to go the amputation route but decided to due to the pain. Your Charlie looks wonderful. Is there any advice you could give me having gone through this so recently. What should I have prepared for his return home? How long did they keep Charlie after the amputation? I would SO appreciate any light you can shed on this for me as I am a nervous wreck but want that painful limb gone. Thank you so very much....Dana (John's mom)

Dana,

I am sorry to hear about John's diagnosis. Please note that Charlie is Charlie and each pup is different and will react differently. I hope John does as well as Charlie for his amp. What I can tell you about his return home and just prior is the following.

For coming home:

- If you have slippery floors, purchase some rugs or any other mats that will help him grip on the floors

- Try to keep him to a specific area of the home and block off the other areas. This will be temporary until he can walk well on 3 legs.

- If you have stairs inside, then you need to decide where he will sleep while he is recovering and you should be with him during this time so it means moving the bedroom to a ground floor room.

- We obtained a loaner harness (the Ruffwear Web harness) from another GT'er which has helped us a lot. We'll be buying our own so that we can return it. We have used it for him to go outside and down the earth berm I built off our deck so Charlie has no stairs to deal with. We also used it for getting him in and out of our truck.

- We purchased a ramp for getting in and out of our truck because it's a pickup and high up. Charlie was a little hesitant to use it but we convinced with assistance of the harness.

- Make food in advance for him as you will be busy just taking care of him and also stressed out so why not get this behind you. We made 3 days worth of food for all our pups in advance. Or you may purchase food.

- Make sure John has an open area and not too many obstacles so that when he gets up, he has room to move.

- Watch for any infections at the wound site when he is home. It will feel a lot hotter if it gets infected than his skin.

- Use some cold compresses to help with the bruising.

- Read, read and read other people's experiences, e.g. GT'er BigOrangeDog has a blog on what to expect from an amp - there's a link in her signature.

- Don't bring him home too soon unless you are sure he is too stressed at the vet and would do better at home.

During his hospital stay:

- If you visit him during his stay, be prepared that he will be out of it. He may not recognize you at first, may whine, etc. This is normal.

- Prepare yourself to see a lot of bruising, possible leakage so don't be too concerned, this is normal as well.

- Think over whether you will be doing Chemo and if yes, get this process going if you can. It's usually started as early as 2 weeks after his amp depending on how he is doing. OSU provides the drugs for free if you wish to follow their protocol - you do not have to! That is your decision as there are different protocols and different drugs.

Feel free to ask anything and remember there are many on GT that have made this journey before Charlie and I so they are a wealth of information.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:yay for Charlie! He looks great!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Great news that Charlie is home and adjusting well. Give him lots of hugs and kisses!!

Dogs seem to handle Chemo a lot better that humans. My Fritz went through it for Lymphosarcoma and had no ill effects.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest Smiley

I'm so happy he's home and doing so well! You guys must be so relieved to have him back with you. He looks wonderful too. Hugs to all of you and may Charlie's recovery be speedy and peaceful.

Oh, he looks so happy and relaxed now he's home! How wonderful to see! And his incision looks great, very neat, and healing nicely.

Be prepared over time for some muscle wasting in what's left of that leg. Sid's stump now looks a very odd shape indeed due to the fact that there's very little muscle there anymore - he's three years post amp (not osteosarcoma) and of course the little twitches he does with that little bit of thigh, to 'pretend' scratch and 'pretend' arrange himself to sit, they don't keep muscle in good order, so it just drops off. I think Charlie's amputation is a little bit higher though, and that may help with aesthetics.

Give him a scritch from me too! :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop