Urine Question

Three weeks ago, the vet was seeing protein in Sam's urine. He wanted another sample in three weeks, so I dropped a sample off today.

No protein. And the vet's phone call (left on my voice mail because my idiot phone didn't ring) said that Sam's urine is very dilute. The vet said to try another sample in three weeks, and he'll rely on the results of two-out-of-three.

This morning's sample was grabbed on our first trip outside. Sam had had his usual long drink of water before bedtime, more than 8 hours earlier. But Sam has always been a huge drinker. He never "visits" the water dish. He just walks over and empties the thing. (And then fusses to go outside whenever he wants to.) On the previous vet visit, Sam had been home during the day--but probably not drinking much since he couldn't get outside until I got home--and that might explain the more concentrated urine (with protein) that the vet saw then. Sam usually doesn't drink a lot of water when I'm not home (he's got puppy pads to use if he needs to, though), then he drinks a bunch when I get home from work. Both dogs have access to water all the time.

There's no sign of diabetes, which I know is one concern when a dog (or person) drinks a lot of water. Sam just drinks as much as he wants when he wants. But is there anything to worry about when a dog's urine is very dilute?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Cris_M

I have only a round about reply. Sorry.

Our last foster was on high doses of Prednisone. That makes a dog very thirsty and the urine is dilute.

The part that may be concern to you is that Duncan, our healthy dog, started drinking lots of water. I think he was trying to make sure the foster didn't drink every drop in the world.

We took Duncan to the vet because it concerned us. Our vet said that they don't worry if the urine is very dilute and they thought it was a good thing.

From what you said, it sounds like the vet is rechecking the urine for protein. Being dilute sounds like an aside comment.

BTW, hi! i remember you from Chiaha. Thanks for sharing your photos and your hounds.

Edited by Cris_M

There's nothing to worry about if he CAN produce concentrated urine. Most dogs will produce the more concentrated urine after overnight without water. Sounds like Sam is more apt to produce his when you've been gone all day. If his last sample was properly concentrated, I wouldn't worry about it.

If a dog CAN'T produce concentrated urine, then yes, that is an issue to be explored. Can indicate kidney problem, hormone problem (think diabetes insipidus), handful of other possibilities.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi, Cris,

The vet's phone message just said that this was a complete 180 from the last results. I think what he was expecting was two samples with about the same concentration, allowing him to compare or check the protein levels. Now that the latest sample is so dilute, the vet doesn't know which sample is "normal." I think the latest sample is normal for Sam.

(This is my Sam that you met at Chiaha last year.)

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest UESBrindle

I recently took William in for some urine issues a bit ago. Twice when we took samples in they came back dilute (both were from the first pee of the days). When I posted here about all of the results I got back, and asking about specific gravity/concentration, someone suggested bloodwork to test for kidney function.

I'm sure more experienced folks will chime in with good advice/suggestions.

Good luck!

There's nothing to worry about if he CAN produce concentrated urine. Most dogs will produce the more concentrated urine after overnight without water. Sounds like Sam is more apt to produce his when you've been gone all day. If his last sample was properly concentrated, I wouldn't worry about it.

If a dog CAN'T produce concentrated urine, then yes, that is an issue to be explored. Can indicate kidney problem, hormone problem (think diabetes insipidus), handful of other possibilities.

Thanks, Batmom. I think I'll email the vet, tell him the differences between samples (after work vs overnight), and ask him which way he wants his next sample. (He had specifically requested overnight, this time.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

The first morning sample is usually what the vets want to see because most dogs don't drink overnight. Try to collect the urine in a clean container before he eats or drinks. The USG should read over 1.030. As for the protein, even though we see it often in our hounds urine doesn't mean it should be there. Per Ohio State even trace amounts should be looked into further.

Yes, it can be too dilute, but it sounds like, clearly, your dog has unusual drinking habits!

If they're not concentrating their urine efficiently, it CAN mean they're not filtering out what they're supposed to filter out.

My last dog had a problem with this--we switched him to special food and that helped him.

They did have me withhold water for 12 hours, and then bring in the first morning urine at one point. Then they kept him for the day and tested him throughout the day--this was to check for Cushings I believe?

Maybe you should get him a giant hamster bottle to drink out of so he doesn't "tank up" like that! :colgate

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Some dogs drink a lot because they're hungry or bored. But I too would think first of Cushing's, Diabetes Insipidis, kidney problems, i.e., GN (glomermular nephritis).

I never heard a vet say very dilute urine all the time is a good thing.:huh